Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

IS PREGNANCY A DISGRACE OR A BLESSING???

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello,

My name is Aurora and I'm 19 years old. and I just finished my freshman year of college. I have been dating my boyfriend Michael close to a year now. Our relationship was not going well so I had to end it. A couple days later I found out I was pregnant. I told him about it and we decided to give it another try. My parents recently found out that I'm pregnant and they kicked me out. They said that they want absolutely nothing to do with me. Right now I'm living in a motel for a couple days and might have an apartment by next week. I am not really sure about how I am feeling about this baby. I feel so confused with friends telling me I'm too young for a child. I know I have options but I have no idea what to do. I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I want this child but I am really scared. I feel like I'm not ready and would hate not to be able to give the baby everything it needs. I am really stressed out thinking about so many different things. What hurts the most is I feel like this is all my fault. I know it is. I feel like I had everything and messed it all up. I was suppose to take things step by step and I jumped ahead. It really hurts knowing that my parents worked so hard to give me everything and I'm a disappointment to my mom. I know having this baby I will have to put my studies aside. I feel like my dreams in having a profession are too far to reach. Their was so much more I had planned and I know becoming a mother it will be difficult. I am also worried that things between Michael and I will not work. I really want my baby to have a father. I know many woman raise their children by themselves because my mother did that with my brother and I. But inside me I always had that hope of not having it be the same. I could really use opinions on my situation or hear other stories of other mothers and how they have overcome these situations.  

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Benswifey10710
by Amanda on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
There's always adoption, but you can make it work if you really want. I was a single mom for 2 yrs before I met my hubby. I'm sorry that your parents abandoned you :( pregnancy is a blessing!!
coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Don't think you have to stop school!
jojo_star
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:15 AM

You have adoption, abortion, and parenting. Only you can decide what to do. You can make it work, but yes, it will be hard, and your chances of graduating college will be significantly reduced. Pregnancy can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on your situation. I had my son at a very young age, but my situation was also very different. My parents supported me. I was a single mother, until my son was 5, when I met and married my husband, who is now my son's dad, in every way that counts. So, just because things don't work out with the bio dad, or he ends up not being around, doesn't mean your child will never have a father. But, at the same time, you have to weigh the pros and cons of having a baby at this age. In your situation, I personally would not have a baby, but that is me. If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me. 

sunshine86912
by Dawn on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM

you dont have to "put your studies aside"  you may have to go a little slower...but youdont have to stop!  I went to school/was in school (as in online classes) the whole time I was pregnant..and after I had the baby..I didnt want to give up..and while my parents were upset with me..because they wanted so much more for me..I finished school..and they got over it :)

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

There is always adoption.

You're 19, you aren't that young.  I was 19 when I got married, I had my oldest right before my 21st birthday.  Cutting you out of their life like that is more their loss.  Stay strong.  Research your options and do what is best for YOU!  <3

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM
You have multiple options: abortion, adoption, or raising the child (alone or with help).
Discuss these options with Michael and with your parents.
Bren07
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
A baby is always a blessing. Even if you don't end up keeping it. By 19 I was pregnant with my second and married. Now I'm 24 and have 3. Being a young/teen mom is never going to be easy, but you can make it work if that's what you want. There is help out there for you. And no, you don't have to put anything to the side to have a baby. You can continue with school, plenty of single teen moms have gone to college.
I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide.
Nicki1995
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM
You CAN achieve your goals as a mother, but you will have to work harder at it.
armywife2408
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM

You do not have to quit school. I finished college even though I had a baby at 19. I worked full time, went to school, and provided for my daughter....and I didn't have any help from the father. It was not easy, but can be done. I've come a long way from where I was, and proved everyone who thought I would fail wrong.

tashraq87
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM
This. I was 16 when I had my DD and met hubby when DD was 5 and he too is her dad in any way possible. I put college on back burner until she hit kindergarten. I am now finished! A long 3 years of part time studies and two ueara of full time bt YOU CAN DO IT!

Quoting jojo_star:

You have adoption, abortion, and parenting. Only you can decide what to do. You can make it work, but yes, it will be hard, and your chances of graduating college will be significantly reduced. Pregnancy can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on your situation. I had my son at a very young age, but my situation was also very different. My parents supported me. I was a single mother, until my son was 5, when I met and married my husband, who is now my son's dad, in every way that counts. So, just because things don't work out with the bio dad, or he ends up not being around, doesn't mean your child will never have a father. But, at the same time, you have to weigh the pros and cons of having a baby at this age. In your situation, I personally would not have a baby, but that is me. If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)