Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

New to Motherhood and New to Cafemom!?!? Any Advice?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM
  • 7 Replies

My name is Kaylen, I am 18 years old! My fiance and I found out that we where pregnant and due January 27, 2014. We found out we where pregnant at 7 weeks and 4 days! I'm pretty sure I am having a very lucky pregnancy because honestly if it wasn't for the "I'm cramping and it hurts but it's not normal cramps take me to the ER!" trip the two of us had to make together then I don't think I would know that I was even pregnant to this point! I am 13 weeks along, have had no morning sickness, no cravings, just dizzyness which is normal for me! There has been nothing abnormal except no period for the past 3 months! 

But anywho??? I am new to this whole mother thing.... any advice on how to keep my stress at a managable level after the baby is born considering I have anger managment and very very high anxiety! I will never hurt my baby! That is a complete fact! But what should I do when my stress level gets high and no one is home but me!??!?! One other question.... I live in Northeastern Indiana, and my baby is due in January one of the coldest months of the year! What are ways I can keep my baby warm? Also which is better... a car seat cover with the little flap for the face for when we get inside.... or just a blanket thrown over the car seat without smothering the baby?

Well Thank You to everyone! Hope everyone has a wonderful day! :)

Sincerelly,

Kaylen! :)

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Welcome and congratulations! I'll come back when I have more time and answer some questions!
peach1191
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
hey! i am new on here too. i am 22 and pregnant with number 2 i am due february 5th! my first i got pregnant with at 19 and he is goingto be 2 in a month! AWWWW i cant believe he is almost 2!
peach1191
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

i just used a blanket with my first to cover him in his carseat. i was so nervouse that whole fall and winter cuz he was born in august and was to young to get a vaccine for the flu. as far as the anxiety thing. if you get overwhelmed just make sure your little one is in a safe place and just walk away for a minute or two and calm down. sometimes its just what you need to keep yourself calm when you are overwhelmed. you are not neglecting or ignoring your baby. sometimes you just need a breather for a minute!

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Welcome Kaylen,

Be sure to talk to your OB about your concerns regarding your anger and anxiety issues.

Regarding the car seat... whatever you feel most comfortable with is fine.  A blanket or a cover, it doesn't really matter.

Benswifey10710
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Welcome!!! I have used both so either or works in the winter! As for the other concerns I'd talk to your doc 

JamieBue38
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was born in February so I always swaddled her at home or stuffed a blanket in her car seat, like a really BIG blanket :)

In the very beginning my daughter cried a lot...which is normal (she didn't colic though, SO glad), anyway it was always difficult to keep my calm especially since I'm a single mom and didn't always have Grandma to pass her off to. Thinking back it makes me sad when I left her in her crib to cry (because I didn't want to harm her or myself), but at the same time I'm so glad I walked away. I know a guy that shook his baby and I don't know if I could ever live with myself after that. When I can't handle it anymore, I put her down, take deep breaths and just think about what could potentially happen... I guess I sorta guilted myself into being a bad mom for even thinking about getting upset at her, so I'd rush back to her and hold her in my arms and everything would be alright. Babies cry, it's inevitable. But always remember, they're not doing it to manipulate your feelings, they're not doing it to make you mad, they're doing it because they were nice and warm and comfortable in your big belly and now, it's all new, it's overwhelming and they don't know what to do. Talk to your baby and let her know mommy is there and will ALWAYS be there no matter what. Don't worry it'll get better and in a couple months, crying will slowly disappear :) Good luck! and Congratulations!!

Saphira1207
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice is to have professional help on stand by, especially with your mental illnesses.  A new baby is a major stressor and not having a counselor or doctor available to talk to or proscribe meds would be a really bad idea for you.   even if you only see your GP abou tthem it would be a major help to you for the first couple of years of your childs life.  They can and will give you tools to help you deal with it all better.  The folks on here are ok but a professional would be better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)