• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will it kill her?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter (5 months) started rolling over a few weeks ago and now prefers to sleep on her tummy. (I was told when she can roll herself, that sleeping on the tummy is ok). Yesterday after she fussed a little and finally fell asleep, I checked on her (as always) to make sure she wasn't in an awkward position, to my horror, she was sleeping on her face! She has kinda a flat/wide nose (from her hideous grandma on her dads side, ugh) but I heard her breathing and her back rise and fall, but is it ok for me to just leaver her? Or should I keep adjusting her head? (that's what I did to be safe). Also she's had boogies a lot recently and sometimes it interferes with her breathing while breastfeeding.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Nicki1995
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Ummm..Keep adjusting her head! Don't just let her lay face down in the crib. My daughter has been a tummy sleeper since birth and has never layed face dow. she's always had her head turned to the side.
sunshine86912
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

i would leave her

lilmamabowers
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Once a baby can lift their own heads and roll over theirselves they will be fine.

First time moms always seem to freak with all the "firsts"
I know I did for the longest time when my daughter rolled on her tummy and slept like that for the first time. I kept waking up to check on her. If she has the strength to lift her head... She'll know when she can breathe and adjust. Hope this helps.

Ps my little girl still sleeps only on her tummy.. She is now 10 months old :)
Benswifey10710
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My 8 month old sleeps like that sometimes...she's fine if she can roll and hold her head up :)
Shaketa123
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say leave her but if your curious move her head

JamieBue38
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Thanks everyone. I have a friend who said her son wouldn't sleep UNLESS his face was smooshed into his mattress. He's 20 now, so obviously nothing happened, but it's really terrifying to watch! I can't even sleep face down like that.

Kazmira222
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is almost 7 months now and he was never a tummy person. Now he'll occasionally roll in his sleep but he prefers his side. I don't see him much on him belly but when he does he is face down. I watch him when he does that but he is starting to figure out that he needs to turn his face lol
Mom2PushCart
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I am 26 now and was always a tummy sleeper from the time I learned to roll over. To this day I still sleep with my face down in the pillows. Lol. My son is 11 months old and since he learned to roll over he has been a tummy sleeper. However, he has never slept with his face pressed in the mattress. There have been a few times that I would move him just because he didn't look comfortable. Most of the time though, I just left him be. He's been sleeping on his tummy since he was 3 months old. I say leave her unless you are really uncomfortable about the way she is sleeping. You're the mom so ultimately it's your call.

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You can probably leave her but if it helps you to feel better, then readjust her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)