Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby shower and welcoming party?!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 15 Replies
Okay so here's the thing. I had a baby shower but a few days before a very major person from our church had passed away and his funeral was planned for the same day. So 90% of the people i invited went to the funeral instead of my shower. I completely understood and was not upset at all.
But because we didn't have a good turn out I didn't receive very much stuff for my little guy.
What I was wondering was if it would be weird or rude to also have a welcome baby home party??
See what I thought is because we're moving into our own place soon (my husband, myself and baby) we could get away with it.. What do you think?!?
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by Dawn on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Now if it happens just before, most people would have already had gifts if they were bringing something right? So I would think they would still give you the gift. I don't see anything wrong with another party..but just wondering why they wouldn't have things for you already
wonderstruck11
by Allons-y on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I agree. If they had already planned on going, then they would have dropped off your gift on their way to the funeral.
What about the people that did come to your shower? They may feel obligated to bring another gift, even though they already gave you something.
IMO, it seems greedy. Shower gifts are just that, gifts. People are not obligated to bring you one.

Quoting sunshine86912:

Now if it happens just before, most people would have already had gifts if they were bringing something right? So I would think they would still give you the gift. I don't see anything wrong with another party..but just wondering why they wouldn't have things for you already
lenashark
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yes, it would be rude to have another party just to get more gifts. A party after the baby is born or a house warming party, fine, but those should be giftless parties, just thrown for people to ome enjoy your company and celebrate the baby. If you throw another and people have to buy more presents, it will make you look greedy because honestly it is pretty greedy to throw another just because you didn't get the presents you wanted. 

BokanoMomma
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
That is why I was iffy, I just wanted others opinions on it to settle my mind about it.
sunshine86912
by Dawn on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Maybe if you have another welcome party put that gifts are not required? So if someone brought you something already they wouldn't feel obligated
Babybear89
by Geeky Gracey on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I think another party would seem bad, like you're being greedy if its just to get more for the baby
sunshine86912
by Dawn on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

from you picture though it looks like you already have two small children?  what else do you need for baby?  (those might not be your kids..I was just wondering lol)

RachelBy
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I think it's rude in general for people to rely on showers and such for necessities for their child, I feel like parents should provide necessities and if someone wants to buy a gift that's very nice but not expected. People should provide for their children. But that's just me, to each their own!
isaacsmommy68
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Have them make an announcement that the baby was born at church. That is what we do at ours. "The xxxx family has welcomed their baby on xx date and mom and baby are doing well" I am sure if they bought you a gift you will receive it.

BokanoMomma
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Yeah, the baby in the picture is mine(whom I don't have alot of stuff for) but the girl is my step daughter.. Basically we need more clothes

Quoting sunshine86912:

from you picture though it looks like you already have two small children?  what else do you need for baby?  (those might not be your kids..I was just wondering lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)