Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Has a stranger ever said anything to you?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was watching an old episode of 7th Heaven this morning where Lucy took her twin baby brothers out without her parents.  People kept giving her dirty looks and then one couple said something about her being a young mom and how they were praying she'd change her ways.  They didn't believe her when she informed them that the boys were her brothers (though why she felt the need to explain is not relavent).

Has a stranger ever said anything to you about your status as a young parent?  How did it make you feel?

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Nope, never. I don't look too young, so no one ever said anything negative or gave me dirty looks.

Momma2bee14
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I think now a days with teen mom and everything, people are more inviting and accepting. People still get talked down to and looked at but not as much as before. 

SabrinaLC
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:38 PM

nope

jojo_star
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Yup. I was 13 when I had my son, and at first people assumed he was my brother, I think, but when I nursed him, and when he started talking and calling me mom, it got rough a few times. Now, I'm 25, and I still get looks and comments, because my kids are 12, 15, 15, and 17, though only the youngest is biologically mine, some people assume I gave birth at 8 and jump all over me. It doesn't help that I can very easily pass for a teenager, and still get carded every time I go to a club or buy or order an alcoholic drink.
Randi02
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Nope.

I am 28, and I think I look younger than I am - but I present myself well, my kids are always clean and well dressed and they have no reason to be rude to me.

Babybear89
by Geeky Gracey on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Yes. When I first had my daughter. I ignored it
mz23
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Np. If they give me a look u surely do not notice nor care. But my friend says this guy was trying to say something to her on the bus when she was with her sis and son. Something like oh I know thataain't your son your too young... lol I thought it was kinda funny cause A what does her child have to do with you and B the town we live in is a hot mess so im not surprised some old guy thought he was doing his duty by telling her about herself (huh?).
ProudMommaBear
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM

No ones ever made a remark like that to me.  I just always get the "Is that your sister?" card lol.  The only time someone actually said something about me being a young mom were some workers at walmart because we go there frequently so they recognize us and knew DD was mine, but they weren't rude.  She just said how she knows it's difficult to be a young mom since her daughter just had achild at the time, even though she was older, but only in her 20's.

rjmac88
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Not with one baby. But now I've gotten a few about how young we look to have 4 children. I'm 25.. My kids are all almost 3 years apart... It's really not that bizarre
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Nope. Someone said something to my husband 1 time. An old lady told him (he's 20 btw) "you need to sit her up before you hurt her neck!" Debbie was laying in the front of the shopping cart, and he waas supporting her neck and head anyway. Well lets just say she didn't say anything else.. =)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)