Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Vaccinations, co-sleeping, sleeping postitions and other controversial topics

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 48 Replies

Okay, so I'm 21, and my son is 2 months. He was recently vaccinated and I had friends tell me "research before you immunize" I didn't because I have always know I wanted to vaccinate my son. I mean it can save his life in the long run.. So what I want to know is did you vaccinate and why or why not?

Also I know all about the risk of SIDS but, I still choose to let my son sleep in the same bed with me if his dads not home. I also let him sleep on his tummy because that is how he likes to sleep the best. If hes not sleeping on his tummy he is sleeping in his car seat, and he seems comfortable like that. Does anybody else do this?

Last but not least, I don't breastfeed, I never even tried. Honestly I didn't want to. The thought of it embarrasses me, because I grew up with 3 younger siblings and my mother didn't breast feed any of us. And none of my friends were able to due to health issues. So I was never around it and it was just an awkward thing for me. Did anybody else not breastfeed for the same reason or any other reasons?

I am prepared for the "Breast is Best", "Back to Sleep" and other comments like that but honestly I'm my sons mother and I will raise his how I want, but I still want to hear about your stories.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't vaccinate. We build their immune systems naturally. Injecting toxins directly into the blood stream, especially of babies with permeable blood brain barriers, is not something I'm comfortable with.

I would never formula feed. It's disgusting it stinks increases the risk of several health risks, not sterile etc.
If I was unable to breastfeed, I would use donor milk. My babies deserve better than formula.

We bed share. It's how our babies are designed to sleep. As long as you're not bottle feeding, obese, a smoker, on drugs/drinking, or suffering from a sleep disorder it's safer than crib sleeping.
alishmyers91
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Quoting Randi02:

I don't vaccinate. We build their immune systems naturally. Injecting toxins directly into the blood stream, especially of babies with permeable blood brain barriers, is not something I'm comfortable with.

I would never formula feed. It's didisgusting it sstinks increases the risk of several health risks, not sterile etc.
If I was unable to breast do, I would use donor milk. My babies deserve better than formula.

We bed share. It's how our babies are designed to sleep. As long as you're not bottle feeding, obese, a ssmoker om drugs/drinking, or suffering from a sleep disorders it's safer than crib sleeping.

Just curious how does Bottle feeding affect how safe co-sleeping is?

Randi02
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
When you breastfeed, it alters your state of mind (and sleep) because chemicals and hormones are released.
Those changes make you more in tune to your sleeping baby, and they affect your sleeping baby too.
A When you're bottle feeding, no changes occur and you don't have heightened senses.

Quoting alishmyers91:

Quoting Randi02:

I would never formula feed. It's didisgusting it sstinks increases the risk of several health risks, not sterile etc.

If I was unable to breast do, I would use donor milk. My babies deserve better than formula.

We bed share. It's how our babies are designed to sleep. As long as you're not bottle feeding, obese, a ssmoker om drugs/drinking, or suffering from a sleep disorders it's safer than crib sleeping.

Randi02
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Also, breastfed babies sleep at breast level and instinctively keep their heads turned towards their mother.
slashteddy
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Definitely this. When I was nursing I would wake for the slightest cry. After my supply quit, I started sleeping like the dead.

Quoting Randi02:

When you breastfeed, it alters your state of mind (and sleep) because chemicals and hormones are released.

Those changes make you more in tune to your sleeping baby, and they affect your sleeping baby too.

A When you're bottle feeding, no changes occur and you don't have heightened senses.

Quoting alishmyers91:

Quoting Randi02:

alishmyers91
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Randi02:

Also, breastfed babies sleep at breast level and instinctively keep their heads turned towards their mother.

I feel like my senses are just as hightened as someone who does breast feed In my opinion. But I dont know many people that did breastfeed.

lizzy_ellie
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Not for me.. When I was breastfeeding I was so over tired and exhaused.. I fell asleep holding my daughter on the couch and she was screaming and I didn't wake up. My mom came out and kept yelling at me to get up and I finally did.. but I wouldn't say that's all situations. Since then I haven't had a problem waking up. (now I formual feed)

Quoting slashteddy:

Definitely this. When I was nursing I would wake for the slightest cry. After my supply quit, I started sleeping like the dead.

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting alishmyers91:

Quoting Randi02:

alishmyers91
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I wake up to every single grunt my baby makes, Im not saying you guys are wrong, because like I said I never breastfed, but I wake up before he even starts to cry, even when he is sleeping in his crib and not beside me. I fee like I am very "in-tune" with my son.

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting alishmyers91:

Quoting Randi02:

Randi02
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM
It's a scientific fact . Those changes don't occur when you don't breastfeed.

You might feel like you're aaware but it's not the same. . When you breastfeed and bedshare, your sleep cycle actually syncs with baby's. It helps regulate their breathing too.

Quoting alishmyers91:

Quoting Randi02:

I feel like my senses are just as hightened as someone who does breast feed In my opinion. But I dont know many people that did breastfeed.

Randi02
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Falling asleep while nursing is common in the first week or so. It's supposed to help slow us down and endure we heal. There are a lot of hormonal changes happening in those first two weeks.

How long did you breastfeed for?

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Not for me.. When I was breastfeeding I was so over tired and exhaused.. I fell asleep holding my daughter on the couch and she was screaming and I didn't wake up. My mom came out and kept yelling at me to get up and I finally did.. but I wouldn't say that's all situations. Since then I haven't had a problem waking up. (now I formual feed)

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting alishmyers91:

Quoting Randi02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN