Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Donor Milk

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 14 Replies
Another post got me thinking. What do you know about milk sharing? Would you donate? Have you received donations? What about getting a wet nurse if you got really sick?

***everyone please be nice***
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scurnes
by Sara on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I donated 113 oz to a mom just last week. We went thru medical history so both of us were comfortable. I think it's a great idea. I would much rather use donor milk than formula.
Randi02
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I donated to a little girl in 2010. I pumped specifically for her (I don't give my own children bottles at all).

There were over 200 of us who donated. The little girl passed away, and that milk went to other mothers who needed it as well.
I provided a blood and milk test, but neither were required by the mother. They were just desperate for donor milk.

If I was unable to breastfeed, my baby would get donor milk. Formula is not something I consider to be good enough for my children.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I donate. I pump at work and always have extra. I donated something like 1200oz when pumping for my oldest.
I've already donated about 500ozs this time, and just signed on to support a pregnant momma who lost her supply due to the pregnancy. She's due in February then plans to tandem nurse.
My favorite donation was to an adoptive family. The baby was born prematurely so mom hadn't had a chance to induce lactation. She's feeding through a Sns so her body will hopefully start production.

If I couldn't beast feed, I would seek donor milk.
MercilessMoon
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd donate if anyone I knew needed it, but I never hve "extra" because  I never pump -- my boys always get it straight from the tap. I would absolutely prefer donor milk, or a wet nurse (that I knew well) if I was temporarily in a tight spot. I'd wet nurse for my family and friends as well, no questions asked. A baby is a baby and breastmilk was designed with them in mind. Formula will always, only, be a last resort for me.

scurnes
by Sara on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I only pump once a day since I had to get a pt job. Thankfully I respond well. With my oldest he had maybe 10-15 bottles ever. I much prefer nursing in demand but hey it doesn't always work out.

Quoting MercilessMoon:

I'd donate if anyone I knew needed it, but I never hve "extra" because  I never pump -- my boys always get it straight from the tap. I would absolutely prefer donor milk, or a wet nurse (that I knew well) if I was temporarily in a tight spot. I'd wet nurse for my family and friends as well, no questions asked. A baby is a baby and breastmilk was designed with them in mind. Formula will always, only, be a last resort for me.

MercilessMoon
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Absolutely -- everyone is different and it's nobody's business to tell someone who they are or what they can or can't do, especially in parenting! (: That's just my personal take on things, no knocking anyone for what they do at all! Luckily I work from home, so bottles have just never even been considered.

Quoting scurnes:

I only pump once a day since I had to get a pt job. Thankfully I respond well. With my oldest he had maybe 10-15 bottles ever. I much prefer nursing in demand but hey it doesn't always work out.

Quoting MercilessMoon:

pregnantmama105
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
there is no legal( as in the do testing and manage storing)donation place where I live... you'd have to ask friends. family or find a group on fb
scurnes
by Sara on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Eats on Feets and Human Milk 4 Human Babies are great places to look. They have fb pages for most every location.

Quoting pregnantmama105:

there is no legal( as in the do testing and manage storing)donation place where I live... you'd have to ask friends. family or find a group on fb
cemcnair
by Courtney on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I've always just donated to individuals.

Quoting pregnantmama105:

Benswifey10710
by Amanda on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I'd donate if I made enough but my body doesn't react well to pumps. It makes enough for my almost 10 month old though :) I'd take donor before formula!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)