Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing my sons last name??

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi everyone, My name is Stephanie, I am 18. I have a 2 year old son Janson, his father hasnt been around at all. He moved to Florida when our son was 2 weeks old, and now has a new fiance who has 2 of her own children. He never asks to talk to his son, hasnt called him over 6 months, hasnt seen him since February of this year. And lately I've been considering changing his last name to mine. Since he doesnt even know his dad and he doesnt even want to be here for him, but im just confused if i should change it now and get it over with, but then i have to get everything changed, or if i should wait until he is a teenager and ask him if he wants my last name. but again, have to get everything changed and he'd already be in school. so anyone have any thoughts???

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Stephanie!

I am not positive, but I believe in order to change your son's name, his dad has to approve if he's on the birth certificate.  If you don't need that, then I'd probably go ahead and change it so that he's known by the family who is there for him and not by some stranger's name.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

If possible, change it now. It will be easier now so that he its not so complicated with him being in school and being used to having a different last name.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I'd do it now.
scurnes
by Sara on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I would do it now if you can. No weird questions later that way
cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I have no idea, but good luck!
stefani718
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Yeah, I was more leaning towards now. And yes, I'd have to either have him agree to it or go to court. And he can state why he feels it shouldn't be changed and I can state why I think it should. But I don't even know if he'd bother showing up to court. And I'm pretty sure even if he did that I'd win, I have some pretty good reasons. I just don't think he deserves to have a son carry on his last name, he hasn't been here for him at all. Thank you for your advice everyone! (:
sunshine86912
by Dawn on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I have my daughter my last name when I had her, because I figured her father wouldn't want anything to do with her..so it was easier, but I am not sure how the process would work for you, but I'd change it if it was easy
AvengedMommy101
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I'm sure the father would be contacted and he'd have to sign for it to be possible. That's if he has any legal rights to the child.
Benswifey10710
by Amanda on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I would do it before school starts and if he isn't on the birth certificate I think you can do it without consent
stefani718
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and try to get it changed. I would have to either get permission from his father or if he really objects then he could go to the courthouse and say why it should stay his last name. But i highly doubt hed make the trip. Even if he does then Im pretty sure Id win considering he doesnt even know his son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)