Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting Rates!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:18 AM
  • 14 Replies
Okay so I'm babysitting my nephew anywhere from 2-5 days a week. More than likely 5. And my sister offered me at first 50 a week at first to watch him, but she gets paid every two weeks so 100 every 2 weeks. I thought that was fine and fair for me and her. But then I wasn't watching him much when we first started so I was getting paid based on the days I watched him I only got 40 for 2 weeks and I watched him like 5 days. Now I watched my nephew 7 days in 2 weeks and she and her bf decide that instead of doing it based on the days they want to do a set amount every 2 weeks. So I asked if we could go back to the original deal since her bf is starting to work more during the daytime then overnight like he usually does. Which is 100 every two weeks. And she's acting like she never said it. So they offered me 60 every 2 week to watch her son. And so I asked if they can do 80 even though I felt like I shouldn't of lowered it considering I'm watching him 9 hours a day the days I do watch him. I and she and her bf are now pissed off. But I honestly feel like she's getting a good deal and don't understand why she's complaining. I know we're family but I have a son to take care of as well and this is my only source of income. I wanna be able to provide for him without relying on anyone else. I feel like I can't do that babysitting 9 hours a day, 5 days a week and getting paid 60 every two weeks. And now I don't feel like babysitting at all because she keeps talking crap all over Facebook about it. Like how are you gonna disrespect me when I'm babysitting your son for you while you work? Am I in the wrong? Be completely honest because idk what to do or say. And don't get me wrong I love my nephew to death and all but he is one bad kid. All they do is teach him to fight so he's constantly beating up my son. He has scratches on his face as of right now because of him. My nephew is 2 and my son is 1. Please give me your advice!!!!
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wonderstruck11
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this
9hours a day, 5 days a week? That is a more than full time!! I would ask for $100 a week minimum.
She is taking advantage of you.
singmealullaby
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
That's what I thought I was trying to be nice since she is my sister but you know her bf makes 12 an hour and she makes 10 an hour or 9 and they work a minimum or 40 hours a week no matter what. Which usually comes out to 1000 between the both of them every week. And they're acting like they can't afford it.
scurnes
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Daycare around here us about 175-200 a week so that's totally unfair to only give you 60 for two weeks.
Babybear89
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM
100 a week
awesomemommy2
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM
$25 a day or $100/week. Especially if you are providing food.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Is this an all day gig? If so, let her know that the normal rate is around $100 a week... at the LEAST.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

HopeAlive
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I hear your frustration about this... Have you thought of setting an hourly wage instead or comparing your price to other childcare options in town?

sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM
When I babysat I did what other providers charged/what I paid when I used child card. 12 hours a day $100 a week.
sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM
But really..if you don't like her rate and she won't pay more, then quit, let her find other child care
cemcnair
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM
When my sister watched my son, it was $15 per day, so a week was $75 which was cheap!
The in home daycare I used was $90 per week.
The center I have the boys at now is $125 per week.
I think what you're asking $50 per week is way too low. Tell her sorry you can't do it for that. Licensed daycare will cost her way more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)