• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working parents

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:33 AM
  • 40 Replies

So i recently started working at the school, subbing, so I its not full time...or every day..but when I do work its an 8 hour day.

What I am wondering, is how in the world do you get everything done?!  I work, come home, cook, clean, get the kids ready for bed, lunches made, etc..and on the days I work its rough!  Plus I have to make time for my business (I sell 31 gifts and products), so closing parties, putting in orders, training calls, etc.  I am just having the hardest time getting it all together!  Meanwhile my husband comes home, sits on the couch and gets started on his work.  So even when I try to ask for help..its not like he isnt busy too..but I am feeling overwelmed!  Is there a better way to juggle all this?!  How do you for real full time working moms do all this mess?! LOL

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Honestly it is just what I have always done
(Has got easier as DS1 has got older, now have another as well)

I have a system (am a planner, I work best with a list)
Also DH does things, we both have work to do when we are home but that doesn't mean one gets left off doing other things. Our work is away by 8 unless for extreme reasons.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but as we have always both worked full time (and before that I worked, was in college and had DS by myself) it is just what I have always done

sunshine86912
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:58 AM

k, hopefully it gets better as time goes on.  I know part of the problem is that right now my husband is in school..so hes not just doing work..its work and homework..while I am doing all housework and work stuff.

Quoting StreetsAhead: Honestly it is just what I have always done (Has got easier as DS1 has got older, now have another as well) I have a system (am a planner, I work best with a list) Also DH does things, we both have work to do when we are home but that doesn't mean one gets left off doing other things. Our work is away by 8 unless for extreme reasons. Sorry I can't be more helpful but as we have always both worked full time (and before that I worked, was in college and had DD by myself) it is just what I have always done

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I work full time, but my schedule is different because I work 2 long days. So on the days I work, my husband has off and does everything around the house, then the rest of the week that I'm off and I take care of everything around the house.

Jenn8604
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Even tho your dh has work to.do at home you do to with your 31. He needs to help some with the kids and getting supper ready everyone to bed etc. Set up a list of who does what on the days you work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM
We have a very set schedule (and some things just don't get done):
Dh gets off at 4:00pm, he goes home and relaxes until about 5:00pm (1/2 hour commute). Then he preps dinner and does dishes or sweeps or some other small chore that needs to be done.
I get off at 4:30-5:00, depending on how busy I am. I pick up the boys from preschool/daycare. We get home between 5:30-6:00pm.
Ds1 (now because we were having sleep issues) watches one show when we get home while dh (usually-but sometimes I do it) cooks dinner.
During that time, I put up dirty diapers, dirty bottles, repack clean diapers, pick out boys clothes and my clothes for the next day, pack clean bottles in my pump bag, and get the boys backpack/bag ready for the next day. All while juggling the baby.
Then we eat dinner.
After dinner, we get baths or play (depending on the day). At 7:30, we start winding down (the baby nurses to sleep), ds1 plays quietly with dh. I usually try to get the baby down when dh starts getting ds1 ready for bed.
At 8:00, pjs on, brush teeth, bedtime story.
8:30, ds1 lays down (or is supposed to, we are working on it).
Then, anything I didn't get finished pre dinner, I work on. I get everything prepped for the morning (dh gets home earlier because he has to go in earlier, so I get me and both boys ready every morning).
So, I sit down about 9:30, just in time for the baby to nurse again... We might watch a show at that point or just go to bed (usually in bed about 10:30).

Dh gets up at 4:30 am, I get up at 5:15 am.

On the weekends, we do everything else: laundry, dishes, clean kitchen, mop, clean bathrooms, grocery shop, run errands, go to birthday parties, etc...

There's very little down time, there's very little "adult" time, and that's with a very supportive, involved father/husband.

We steal moments and kisses :)

It is very busy. Not everything gets done. My house is never spotless, but my kids and dh are happy :)
sunshine86912
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

yeah..that wouldnt work for us, because the only days he is off is Sat and Sun. and currently he only gets Sunday off while in school

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A:

I work full time, but my schedule is different because I work 2 long days. So on the days I work, my husband has off and does everything around the house, then the rest of the week that I'm off and I take care of everything around the house.

sunshine86912
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM

shew, that makes me tiredjust reading all that lol.  but I think we may have to make a when I work schedule...so he knows what needs to be done..and then another for when I dont work (since i sub its on and off).  I realize that on the days I dont work, I can do it all..its just the days I work..that it gets rough.  and I feel like he stumbled on my post, because he cooked half of dinner (I made a crock pot meal so we just needed veggies) and then he cleaned up from it lol

Quoting cemcnair: We have a very set schedule (and some things just don't get done): Dh gets off at 4:00pm, he goes home and relaxes until about 5:00pm (1/2 hour commute). Then he preps dinner and does dishes or sweeps or some other small chore that needs to be done. I get off at 4:30-5:00, depending on how busy I am. I pick up the boys from preschool/daycare. We get home between 5:30-6:00pm. Ds1 (now because we were having sleep issues) watches one show when we get home while dh (usually-but sometimes I do it) cooks dinner. During that time, I put up dirty diapers, dirty bottles, repack clean diapers, pick out boys clothes and my clothes for the next day, pack clean bottles in my pump bag, and get the boys backpack/bag ready for the next day. All while juggling the baby. Then we eat dinner. After dinner, we get baths or play (depending on the day). At 7:30, we start winding down (the baby nurses to sleep), ds1 plays quietly with dh. I usually try to get the baby down when dh starts getting ds1 ready for bed. At 8:00, pjs on, brush teeth, bedtime story. 8:30, ds1 lays down (or is supposed to, we are working on it). Then, anything I didn't get finished pre dinner, I work on. I get everything prepped for the morning (dh gets home earlier because he has to go in earlier, so I get me and both boys ready every morning). So, I sit down about 9:30, just in time for the baby to nurse again... We might watch a show at that point or just go to bed (usually in bed about 10:30). Dh gets up at 4:30 am, I get up at 5:15 am. On the weekends, we do everything else: laundry, dishes, clean kitchen, mop, clean bathrooms, grocery shop, run errands, go to birthday parties, etc... There's very little down time, there's very little "adult" time, and that's with a very supportive, involved father/husband. We steal moments and kisses :) It is very busy. Not everything gets done. My house is never spotless, but my kids and dh are happy :)

sunshine86912
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

right, but he also works 630am-anywhere from 5-7 PM (some days later), which is why I feel like I cant even ask for help.  its just frustrating to me because it would be easier if he was deployed or had gone away from school, because then I am doing everything for the 3 of us, instead of 4.   I CAN hack it....but its just frustring when you know there is someone who CAN help..but isnt.

He is also in school right now though..so that has added more to his plate (its for a promotion, so it means I should be supportive lol).  But it means his schedule isnt really set other than I know he goes to work every day at 630 and works M-Sat., they get off at differnet times every day, sometimes at 3 they are finished, other days not till 530, which makes it even harder to expect him to help. GAH!  I just cant seem to win for losing.

Quoting Jenn8604: Even tho your dh has work to.do at home you do to with your 31. He needs to help some with the kids and getting supper ready everyone to bed etc. Set up a list of who does what on the days you work.

TS9509
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I have certain things I do on certain days. Cleaning the kitchen and picking up the living room is done daily, laundry is done on Sunday and Thursday, grocery shopping is done on Sunday, the kids are responsible for cleaning their rooms, my bedroom and the bathrooms are cleaned on Wednesday. I work about 50 hours a week Monday-Friday.
cemcnair
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM
It is ;)
A good schedule really is key.

Quoting sunshine86912:

shew, that makes me tiredjust reading all that lol.  but I think we may have to make a when I work schedule...so he knows what needs to be done..and then another for when I dont work (since i sub its on and off).  I realize that on the days I dont work, I can do it all..its just the days I work..that it gets rough.  and I feel like he stumbled on my post, because he cooked half of dinner (I made a crock pot meal so we just needed veggies) and then he cleaned up from it lol

Quoting cemcnair: We have a very set schedule (and some things just don't get done): Dh gets off at 4:00pm, he goes home and relaxes until about 5:00pm (1/2 hour commute). Then he preps dinner and does dishes or sweeps or some other small chore that needs to be done. I get off at 4:30-5:00, depending on how busy I am. I pick up the boys from preschool/daycare. We get home between 5:30-6:00pm. Ds1 (now because we were having sleep issues) watches one show when we get home while dh (usually-but sometimes I do it) cooks dinner. During that time, I put up dirty diapers, dirty bottles, repack clean diapers, pick out boys clothes and my clothes for the next day, pack clean bottles in my pump bag, and get the boys backpack/bag ready for the next day. All while juggling the baby. Then we eat dinner. After dinner, we get baths or play (depending on the day). At 7:30, we start winding down (the baby nurses to sleep), ds1 plays quietly with dh. I usually try to get the baby down when dh starts getting ds1 ready for bed. At 8:00, pjs on, brush teeth, bedtime story. 8:30, ds1 lays down (or is supposed to, we are working on it). Then, anything I didn't get finished pre dinner, I work on. I get everything prepped for the morning (dh gets home earlier because he has to go in earlier, so I get me and both boys ready every morning). So, I sit down about 9:30, just in time for the baby to nurse again... We might watch a show at that point or just go to bed (usually in bed about 10:30). Dh gets up at 4:30 am, I get up at 5:15 am. On the weekends, we do everything else: laundry, dishes, clean kitchen, mop, clean bathrooms, grocery shop, run errands, go to birthday parties, etc... There's very little down time, there's very little "adult" time, and that's with a very supportive, involved father/husband. We steal moments and kisses :) It is very busy. Not everything gets done. My house is never spotless, but my kids and dh are happy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)