Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

how do you get your baby to nap?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 110 Replies
My daughter is 10 months. She still needs her naps considering she cant even stay awake when its time for a nap. However, she cant get herself to sleep at all. Mil totally ruined the chance of her being able to put herself to bed. Anyways, i change her feed her make sure its not too hot or cold, then i rock her. As soon as she gets on the crib she wakes up. She tries to crawl around when shes in our bed so thats not an option. Id much rather let her cry it out a few mins, come back and check on her and repeat. This gets VERY frustrating as a first time mom. Any advice? Ill delete any smart ass comments. I dont care how harsh you think i am.
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amiana
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I rocked mine to sleep, put him in bed, let him cry for a few mins, then repeat. Slowly lengthened the amount of time between putting him in bed and picking him up. Shortened rocking time too. It might be harsh or whatever, but it worked. A month later, he doesn't need to be rocked anymore. Persistence is key.
meganliz11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, shes finally asleep. I did rock her, set her down and she cried for a few and then passed out. I just hope this gets easier, i try to push what i want to do as a parent and every little whimper she makes somebody runs and picks her up and messes up everything.

Quoting Amiana: I rocked mine to sleep, put him in bed, let him cry for a few mins, then repeat. Slowly lengthened the amount of time between putting him in bed and picking him up. Shortened rocking time too. It might be harsh or whatever, but it worked. A month later, he doesn't need to be rocked anymore. Persistence is key.
faithnardo92
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It takes a long time for my son to nap also. He's 19 months he stays up all day and when it's time for a nap, he stills wants to be with me. I don't know if this works but try and put a blanket or stuffed animal in her crib and give her some ice water with ice cubes. It would be fun for her to shake and hopefully she'll fall asleep. Good luck!!

Randi02
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I would nurse and then lay the baby down.

I would never leave a baby to cry.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM
At that age crying for a couple minutes is sometimes necessary. If they are really losing it and it continues for more then a couple minutes then you obviously want to check on them. It's easier to just lay them down, sing them a song/read a book, rub/pat their back, then leave and repeat as necessary. It does get easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meganliz11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM
I rub her back to get her to calm down. Shes fought sleep since she was born

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: At that age crying for a couple minutes is sometimes necessary. If they are really losing it and it continues for more then a couple minutes then you obviously want to check on them. It's easier to just lay them down, sing them a song/read a book, rub/pat their back, then leave and repeat as necessary. It does get easier!
meganliz11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Quoting Randi02:

Randi02
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM

It doesn't NEED to be done. It's not at all necessary.

Quoting meganliz11: Gotta do what ya gotta do.
Quoting Randi02:

meganliz11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM
And why not? Crying wont hurt anybody.

Quoting Randi02:

Quoting Randi02:

Randi02
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM

:(

You have a lot of growing up to do. For the sake of your child, I hope it happens soon.

Quoting meganliz11: And why not? Crying wont hurt anybody.
Quoting Randi02:

Quoting Randi02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)