Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

"They aren't intended to be fun."

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM
  • 79 Replies
2 moms liked this

My kids' will be cleaning and doing chores on Saturday mornings and sometimes their friends from across the street will come over to play before they are done. 100% of the time the neighbor kids will ask if they can help them and then play. 

They always finish the chores completely and it's a minor distraction but they all pitch in and things get done just as fast if not faster. I know my kids have made the same offer at their house.

Do your kids do this? My friends and I were the same way when we were little but my friend thinks the entire thing is strange and that kids should just do their own chores because "They aren't intended to be fun."

Thoughts?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maevelyn
by on May. 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

BUMP!

mama_pink_tink
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM
3 moms liked this
We did this as kids too! Intended to be fun or not, it's a responsibility, all which all kids take seriously! Especially the portion in knowing the rules are that there is no play before chores are done! Good thing in my opinion
Maevelyn
by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM
5 moms liked this

I think so too! I am always proud of all the kids for demonstrating that being together is the 'fun' part no matter what you're doing.

Quoting mama_pink_tink: We did this as kids too! Intended to be fun or not, it's a responsibility, all which all kids take seriously! Especially the portion in knowing the rules are that there is no play before chores are done! Good thing in my opinion

Maevelyn
by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM

BUMP!

Howardx5
by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM

eh. if they want to help, sure. but its not something id ask them (the friends) to do. its not their responsibility.

Maevelyn
by on May. 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this

They all seems to just offer. I think they just want to hang out together and getting it over with is the shortest way to make that happen. They're all really good kids. I just can't think of a reason why I wouldn't let them help or would discourage my kids from helping them. 

Quoting Howardx5:

eh. if they want to help, sure. but its not something id ask them (the friends) to do. its not their responsibility.

JAIRATRACI
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM
4 moms liked this
Them helping doesn't mean they are having fun. I think the thought process is that the sooner it gets done the sooner they can play so let's help them out.
grapesandwrath
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM
3 moms liked this

No one likes chores. 

But they should not be a burden either. 

In my opinion, helping the family is just part of life. Its a natural order of things, like eating, or sleeping. 

Uhura
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Long as it gets done, I don't see a problem with having a bit of fun or someone to chat to while you're doing it.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

diaperstodating
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN