Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To young for punishment?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
Sooo, my daughter is 2 years old(will be 3 in two weeks) and my son is 4 years olds. I'm starting to realize I expect a lot more out of my son, then I do my daughter. She is getting older and she needs to be expected to put her dishes in the sink, put her shoes where they belong, put clothes in bath basket(all things I expected my son to do at 2 almost 3 and things he does know without being asked), and today's task: cleaning the play room. I told them if they cleaned the play room they could go outside and play. My son did it without complaining, but my daughter cried the whole time in the doorway saying "I'm to little to clean." Even when I helped my son finish she never moved. I know I have to stick to what I said, but as my son was putting his shoes on I was listening to my daughter crying "I just want to play" and my son saying "I picked up her half so she can play with me and she's just a baby." Am I being to hard on her? Is she to young to understand the long term effects of not cleaning= no outside play. Is 2 almost 3 to young for rules with no gray area.
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AngelLovingLife
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:59 PM
My kids have always done their chores, starting at when they could walk. It wasn't a big deal, we just helped them when they were little, so as they got older, it was the norm. If they didn't do it, we wouldn't punish them, just have them do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayliza
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM
I caved. I was more worried about my son thinking that he could not follow the rules and still get the prize at the end, but he didn't see it that way.
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2015 at 10:14 AM

She's definitely not too young to help out or understand the consequences of not helping when asked.  Don't let her get away with the "I'm too little" routine, she's playing you.

charnell23
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I agree if she has enough sense to say she is too young then she can do it. Of course little small tasks.

Shay.90
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM

No she's not too young. It's good to start children on chores early. She's just saying she's too little to get out of doing the chores.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 6:27 PM
I don't use punishment as a discipline technique and all, but my son has always cleabed up after himself. It's not optional, you clean or you don't do anything else.

I help him. If the mess is too big, it can become overwhelming. So I'll divide it up and such. I sit beside him so he stays on task. And I'll help as long as he's putting in an equal amount of work.

He will be 3 next month and cleans up mostly on his own now. In fact a couple of times we've been in a rush and he gets upset with me because he needs to clean his toys up before we go.
mommy2smommy2
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD just turned 3 and she is not too young. She too is a bit spoiled she is the youngest and the last so she has a double helping :) my son is 5 he helps his sister too. Of course, you daughter should have consequences and you need to let your son know it is ok for his sister to do her share and while it is nice he helps her you do not expect him to do it FOR her and she needs to learn to responsible for her things as well. 

Also, my daughter would not have only had consequences if she stood in the doorway crying that would have last all of 2 minutes for me. I would have sent her to her room until she had a happy heart and was ready to do her share AND my son would have been told to leave his sister half and if she came out of her room in time he could help her clean it up. 

cheetah90210
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:26 PM
She's def old enough to pick up after herself , and at that age it is most important to address stuff like this immediately so they know exactly why they are being punished instead of letting it slide and later punishing them. you will feel bad sometimes and find yourself taking away privileges often but she will get older and you won't have a monster to deal with because you didn't let it slide at 3. Alot of parents I know don't address things their children do at this age when they really need it and by the age of 8 they have a monster and thinking their child has some mental issues because they are throwing tantrums like they did at two , well yeah because they haven't been required to do things and now they are being told what to do. Don't feel bad mama you're doing fine she has to learn. at 3 we did punishments like that , and by 4/5 we took away toys made him earn them back, made him read books instead of play games, took away desert , early bedtime , and etc and now he has his days but we rarely have to tell him to punish him. We set a schedule he knows when he has to do things and he does them without being told, it's do much easier on all of us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)