Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Criticism of young mothers is so cliche.

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM
  • 22 Replies

Its 2015 people. The constructive criticizm is actually destructive. What does age have to do with knowing right from wrong? Raising a child is an amazing expierence and i wouldnt change anything about it. not even my age. Young mothers have an advantage compared to out dated parents. nothing against you guys at all. but we know the style the fashions and latest trends that were all on top of. We need to work together as mothers not against eachother. having a couple years on someone does not make you more of a mother than i am.

by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 6:34 AM
Age has nothing to do with your ability to parent. There are plenty of wonderful young moms and horrible older moms. I was 13 when my brother was born. My 33 year old mother told me to care for him or she would leave him in a dumpster. I got up with him, cared for him when he was sick, changed his diapers, taught him to walk and talk, and protected him from my mother and her men. Which one of us sounds like the REAL mother?
zdtmok
by on May. 6, 2015 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Really? Being up to date on fashions is what makes a young mother a good parent? The simple fact is, very few young people are equipped to raise a child. Someone under 16 can't drive a car, which in the US at least, is pretty much required in the entire US to get anywhere. You can't provide financially for a child. You won't have an education. Have you ever done any real research on teen parents? The facts are proven time and again, that teen parents 8 times out of 10 can't make it. Poverty, health issues for the children, most of the time dad doesn't stay, and the kids repeat the cycle. While I agree we shouldn't bash young mothers simply on their age, because some CAN be good mothers, the simple fact is, being a young mother really isn't a good thing most of the time. And your attitude, that knowing clothing fashions has ANYTHING to do with being a good parent, is ridiculous. As is calling older parents 'outdated'.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonborn
by Group Admin on May. 6, 2015 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
This, this, this!
Style and fashion has NOTHING to do with being a parent. Hell, I am a young mom and I don't keep up with what's in style at all. There are too many young moms that seem to think that they are better than older moms, but in reality neither are perfect.
Young moms have more energy, but generally don't have their own lives figured out yet. And a lot tend to resent the fact that they didn't get to have a 'normal' life before having kids. So many kids to young moms end up with no father and spending more time with grandparents instead of being raised by their own parents.

Quoting zdtmok: Really? Being up to date on fashions is what makes a young mother a good parent? The simple fact is, very few young people are equipped to raise a child. Someone under 16 can't drive a car, which in the US at least, is pretty much required in the entire US to get anywhere. You can't provide financially for a child. You won't have an education. Have you ever done any real research on teen parents? The facts are proven time and again, that teen parents 8 times out of 10 can't make it. Poverty, health issues for the children, most of the time dad doesn't stay, and the kids repeat the cycle. While I agree we shouldn't bash young mothers simply on their age, because some CAN be good mothers, the simple fact is, being a young mother really isn't a good thing most of the time. And your attitude, that knowing clothing fashions has ANYTHING to do with being a good parent, is ridiculous. As is calling older parents 'outdated'.
zdtmok
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Thank you!!

And I was also a young mother, I had my twins at 19. And now at 26, I still couldn't tell you what the newest fashion is :/

Quoting dragonborn: This, this, this!
Style and fashion has NOTHING to do with being a parent. Hell, I am a young mom and I don't keep up with what's in style at all. There are too many young moms that seem to think that they are better than older moms, but in reality neither are perfect.
Young moms have more energy, but generally don't have their own lives figured out yet. And a lot tend to resent the fact that they didn't get to have a 'normal' life before having kids. So many kids to young moms end up with no father and spending more time with grandparents instead of being raised by their own parents.

Quoting zdtmok: Really? Being up to date on fashions is what makes a young mother a good parent? The simple fact is, very few young people are equipped to raise a child. Someone under 16 can't drive a car, which in the US at least, is pretty much required in the entire US to get anywhere. You can't provide financially for a child. You won't have an education. Have you ever done any real research on teen parents? The facts are proven time and again, that teen parents 8 times out of 10 can't make it. Poverty, health issues for the children, most of the time dad doesn't stay, and the kids repeat the cycle. While I agree we shouldn't bash young mothers simply on their age, because some CAN be good mothers, the simple fact is, being a young mother really isn't a good thing most of the time. And your attitude, that knowing clothing fashions has ANYTHING to do with being a good parent, is ridiculous. As is calling older parents 'outdated'.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sicasica17
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Knowing what's in style makes you a good parent? Ill jot that down. Thanks for the worldly knowledge.
dragonborn
by Group Admin on May. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM
I had my first at 19 and am now 23 and pregnant with my second. In fashion to me is jeans and a tank top lol.

Quoting zdtmok: Thank you!!

And I was also a young mother, I had my twins at 19. And now at 26, I still couldn't tell you what the newest fashion is :/

zdtmok
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Congrats! When is your due date? I'm expecting our 8th.

I do have some elegant clothing, but yes, for the most part I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, something easy to move around in and maintain.

Quoting dragonborn: I had my first at 19 and am now 23 and pregnant with my second. In fashion to me is jeans and a tank top lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonborn
by Group Admin on May. 6, 2015 at 1:26 PM
Due July 3rd, 8 weeks left!
8! I would love a huge family, but I think I am just going to have the two.

Quoting zdtmok: Congrats! When is your due date? I'm expecting our 8th.

I do have some elegant clothing, but yes, for the most part I'm in jeans and a t-shirt, something easy to move around in and maintain.

Quoting dragonborn: I had my first at 19 and am now 23 and pregnant with my second. In fashion to me is jeans and a tank top lol.

zdtmok
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:28 PM
You're so close!!

We had planned to be done with our 7th, my husband had a vasectomy while I was pregnant with our baby.

Quoting dragonborn: Due July 3rd, 8 weeks left!
8! I would love a huge family, but I think I am just going to have the two.

Quoting zdtmok: Congrats! When is your due date? I'm expecting our 8th.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyandson1112
by New Member on May. 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM

this is compeltely taken out of context. what i meant by knowing the fahion was simply saying we see more eye to eye with our children. of course knowing fashion is not a way of parenting. get real people. theres nothing wrong with a young mother and nothing wrong with an older parent. but i know that my mother was 46 when i was 15 and trying to tell her what i liked was simply a waste of breath. she wore high water pants and her shirts were 2 sizes to small. that was cool in her "generation" not mine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)