Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Is it too early for me to start my period?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 4:51 PM
  • 5 Replies
MY daughter is 5 weeks and 3 days old. As of yesterday, I have gotten my period. I am waiting back to hear from my OB. I have been diagnosed as having low milk supply, and am worried that because I got my period I won't be able to breastfeed at all anymore ( i am already down to every other feeding)...is this bad??? I am really confused and would appreciate any help I could get!

thanks!

Brooke

by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
foofie87
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 5:56 PM
y cant u breastfeed if u have ur period?
stephanie021
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 5:58 PM
its normal i breast fed my daughter for 6 weeks. i bleed for 4 weeks after i had her stoped then started my period 2 weeks later. you can still breastfeed your baby your period shouldnt affect it.
frogieslilangel
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 5:59 PM
I personally bled for 5 weeks after having kami and i wasnt producing enough milk and i got so frustrated that i just put her on formula and she is doing great. She is going to the doc tommorw for her 2 month check up. I was told by the people here that if you arent producing then you need to pump in between feeding to help make more. I was doing that and still wasnt so its something to try. I felt bad about putting kami on formula so young but it has been the best thing for both of us i went back to work and didnt have to worry and also other ppl can get invovled in feeding her. Dont let your doc pressure you into anything that you dont what to do. Bc if you are doing it and you dont want to then u are going to get frustrated and so is the baby and it wont be the enjoyable experience that it should be. Do what you think is going to be right for you and your baby your the mom you know whats best. But like i said if you want to produce more its a matter of supply and demand if you make your body think that u need more then it will make more..just pump when you give her a bottle and pump in between feeding too. Hope i Helped a little
JenFunSniffer
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 7:14 PM
I got my period about a month after I had my baby and I breast fed him for a year. Don't feel bad if  you need to buy some formula. Do what you feel is right. What motivated me to keep on breast feeding was the cost of formula. If you just formula feed it cost about two thousand dollars a year. With all of the pain that breast feeding brought, I would just tell myself that I was saving two grand. You can try pumping to get the most out of your milk. That helped me to keep up my milk flow. I even when to a lactation consultant, just ask your baby's doctor to see if he can recommend one. Please try not to give up yet, breast feeding does not come easy to everyone and your milk flow might of gone down to what your baby drinks daily. I am so thankful that I went to a lactation consultant because my baby could of gotten the chicken pox if it went for my antibodies.
jacscallin
by on Jun. 25, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I know how you feel... my situation was a little different... my daughter would not latch on... and therefore my milk suplly never came in... I mean I would pump for 20 mins, and maybe get 1 ounce (1/2 ounce from each side)... After two weeks, when my husband went back to work, I didn't have the time to pump... I tried, but I couldn't leave my daughter crying for 20 minutes so I could pump every two hours, just to be able to supplement feed, so I stopped... and I cried for like a week, because I felt like I gave up, and that I failed my daughter.  I tried to start pumping again, and use the SNS (supplemental nursing system), went the the La Leche Legue, went to herbalist... nothing... absolutly nothing.  I got over it, my daughter is very healthy, and she does not love me any less!

Jennifer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN