Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be worried??

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
My 4 1/2 month old son has been rolling over for about 2 weeks now but this morning I was up early and went in his bedroom to look at him and he was rolled over sleeping on his stomach with his face in the mattress!!!!!  I about had a heart attach thinking he'd smothered himself, but he was just snoozing away peaceful as can be.  Nether the less I was terrified to go back to sleep and couldn't help but go back and check up on him quite frequently.  Should this scare me and should I roll him over when I see him like this??  Or should I not worry and just let him be and let myself sleep tonight?  Has anybody elses baby done this at how old were they when the did it and what did you do???
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
amylito7
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM
its natural for a baby to roll around in his sleep.  if it really bothers you, you can try a positioner.  Just make sure to keep soft blankets and stuffed animals out of the crib and he should be fine.
jess0930
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM
believe it or not. they will move to accompany being able to breathe. like pple say they can spit up and smother in it. they will move if they can't breathe.and such. they are smarter than we give em credit for.
mamasitax2
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:29 PM
I was told that once they are old enough to roll that it's ok to let them sleep on thier stomachs.  My 7 month old always ends up on his now.  Just be careful about loose bedding etc and he should be fine.
LibbyMoncada
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:29 PM
if he is capable enough to roll over he should be smart enough not to smother himself. my son is 3.5 months and sleeps on his stomach face down all the time. he knows the life himself up with his arms and turn his head. you know your baby best. if he is capable of lifting and flipping i dont see a problem in disturbing him. id leave him be..but like i said you know him best..you'll know if he is capable and smart enough to turn his head if he needs to.
Atarismommy
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:30 PM
I was told that you should roll them over.. but I never did with my daughter.. I just kept checking on her a lot.. shes 10 months old now.. and she sleeps on her tummy with her butt in the air. You should just make sure the only thing in the crib is a sheet and its smooth and tucked in.. no blankets or toys or anything.
Dmimama1206
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:31 PM
No just put him on his stomach. My son actually sleeps on his hands with his face in the matress. If he couldn't breathe he would move. As long as he can hold his head up good he is fine to sleep on his stomach, my son has since he was 3wks old.
hudsosa
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:31 PM
I think my son was 5 1/2 months when he started doing that and at 10 months he still does it.  I wouldn't be too concerned as long as he can lift his head and there are not extra blankets or stuffed animals etc.  If he sleeps with a paci it is better because it causes enough air to get in.  If you're still uncomfortable with it and if he can sleep on his side try that.  I hope this helps you relax.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
mommyheartsKS
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 2:35 PM
I wouldn't be worried.  Like everyone else said, just make sure there's no loose bedding around for him to suffocate on.  If he's strong enough to roll over to be more comfy...trust that he is positioning himself so he can breathe comfortably too
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)