Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What decongestants to give my 8 month old?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 8:44 PM
  • 6 Replies
I know this seems like a dumb post but I have no idea what to give my son for his cengestion-the Triminic works for my daughter but doesn't do Crap for my son.  He's just so miserable and can't even drink anything and eating is pretty interesting as well.  Any advice would be awesome.  Thanks!
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamasitax2
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM
I tried to find some when my son was about 5 months and the pharmasist told me that they don't make ANY for kids under 2 anymore.  You might want to call and check with your doc.
angeleyes7546
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 8:47 PM
None.  Use Baby Rub and a Humidifier.
CarterLanesMom
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T089900.asp

Go there and he tells you all that babies can take and how much. Ilove that site.
mommamartin05
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM
You shouldn't give any decongestants to your 8 month old.  Doctors are now recommending that you stay away from decongestants, cold meds, etc because not only have they not been proven to be effective but they have been proven to be toxic to very young children.  In fact, my ped told me that even toddlers and children under 6 should probably not be given these meds.  If I were you I would do a saline flush of the nose and then use the nasal syringe to suck out any mucus.  If you don't have a humidifier, get one (cool air, not warm air).  Also, I have found that raising the head of my son's crib helps (I use 2 vhs tapes under the two legs at the head of the bed).  Also, the baby vicks rub helped some too.  If I were you I would call your on call ped tonight or call your doctor in the morning to ask for any other suggestions.
CarterLanesMom
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 8:05 AM
I put a pillow UNDER the mattress- it raises it slightly. As far as the meds are concerned. I went to my dr. and expressed concern about the info. I was hearing about decongestants and he reassured me that he has NEVER had any issues with children and them. Also, I read up on the subject and the reason many children have had issues from them is that there is no label for dosage on the container for under 2 so parents just illadvisedly guess how much- thus rsult in a problem.

I gave my 3 year old medicine when he was young and he was fine. With my youngest we gave him Pedicare and Triaminic.
amylito7
by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM
There are awesome humidifiers now that don't require water and they're a lot smaller.  You can get them just about anywhere even walmart and the one I have plugs into the walls and has refills about the size of those breath strips.  Its realllllly easy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)