Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

New Member and don't know what to do!!

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM
  • 3 Replies
Please help I need a few pointers on this thing. I would love to make any new friends  and I have many questions. Like what do I do when my baby always crys when I leave the room and then stops when I hold him? I can't hold him all the time like I want to, I have house work to do. Please any advice on these two matters would help!!   :)
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Specialfey
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM
Letting him cry won't hurt him. You're his mom, you know the different cries he has. You won't let him down by getting some work done. Have you tried the swing? One thing that worked WONDERS with mine was that music player that's on the computer, it shows images like swirly lights that beat to the music? Know what I mean? Well we'd put on Hero by Chad Kroeger... and she'd sit there and watch the randomizations forever if we let her. We'd just park her swing in front of the computer, and I'd have a chance to clean, or go to the bathroom, or eat.

Another song that worked... that Bang Bang song by Nancy Sinatra, from Kill Bill. It's something about the way those 2 songs are sung, they're smooth and soothing. I don't know, but it worked! lol
mama2acutie
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Hello! i know you're probably very frustrated at how you can't possibly seem to get everything done with just one arm. But don't feel so bad, i think that many moms go through this because it's simply a stage that babies go through. Your baby will probably grow out of it whenever he starts moving around. My baby is seven months old and he still sometimes gets very fussy for me to hold him, not so much now that he is crawling a bit and pulling himself up. If you really need to get stuff done around the house maybe you can try a sling or carrier if you haven't already. I'm sorry that i can't be much help but if you ever need to talk, I'm here to listen!!!

hlplay82
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM

That is totally normal for babies to cry when they can't see you.  It is because they haven't developed object permanence (the ability to remember that you still exist even when they can't see you).  It usually develops around 9-12 months, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Things to help your baby develop it...
-playing peek-a-boo
-hiding stuff under a blanket (start with one item, then quickly show it).

Something you might want to do when you have got to get the housework done...
-carry baby around in a sling or soft carrier for simple chores (checking the mail and vacuuming are pretty easy with toting baby in a carrier)
-let baby swing or relax in a bouncy seat (in same room if just picking up stuff; nearby in another room if using stinky cleaning products)
-talk to your baby when you have to leave the room, let him/her know what you are doing... sometimes it feels silly, but it will help reassure your baby and help them develop language skills at the same time
-try to relax when baby is sleeping; if not possible, do light work like checking mail & email, paying bills (not fun, but at least not heavy duty work either), making beds, etc.

I hope this helps you out.  Remember, family and self before chores... a little dust won't hurt your baby.

Good luck and enjoy your baby!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)