Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

brestfeeding?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:03 AM
  • 9 Replies
i had my son on June 15th and i went to the doctors a couple days ago and he told me that its better for breastfeed. but i have been bottle feeding my son since he was born. I'm only 16 so Hayden is at daycare during the day when I'm in my class's, so i cant breastfeed him. should i breastfeed him when i have him and have the daycare bottle feed him or just stick with the bottle?
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
thejonestrio
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:20 AM
Can you pump between classes? I am sure if you mention to your teachers why you might be a bit late, they would understand. A job has to do it... why not teachers? And, is the daycare close? Maybe you can go there on your lunch break??? Thats what Idid with my daughter when I tried to go back to work. I fed her every time I could. It worked until I was able to stay home...
thejonestrio
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:21 AM
by the way... KUDOS TO YOU FOR STAYING IN SCHOOL!!!!!!! Good job! You should be very proud of yourself!!!
newmom_2007
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:25 AM
well, i don't know how helpful i can be bc i am still pregnant with my 1st and don't have experience really on this issue. However, i have been reading up like crazy on the subject  and attended courses bc i intend to breastfeed. Based on this, I know that it is healthier to breastfeed for your baby. It will give ur child the best source of nutrition, reduce colic, help u get back to ur pre pregnancy weight much faster, and save u a ton of money on formula. (estimated at least 1000.00 the 1st yr. alone). However, not all moms are able to for many different reasons. My suggestion to you would be that if u are wanting to breastfeed for the health of the baby than it might not be too late. U can always buy a breastpump and pump the milk on a regular basis. this is easier when u have to go back to work or the child is in daycare or whatever- ne way. And, since ur infant is already becoming accustomed to the bottle, if u strictly bottle-feed, but useing the breastmilk as a formula substitute she shouldn't get the nipple confusion. I actually know quite a few women who prefer to do it that way bc  they say that pumping is more comfortable and can be faster and a time saver.
  whatever u decide, goodluck and congrats! I hope i could be of some help.
kendallsmamma
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:26 AM
Although breastmilk is the best, there is NOTHING wrong with formula. I breastfed (well pumped because my daughter was very sick) for three months but it got to be too much so I switched to formula and she grew fine.... Plus it has been almost a month since you had your baby that your milk may not come in. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. And I agree, GOOD JOB ON STAYING IN SCHOOL!!!!
precious_smile
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:31 AM
your not the only one to bottle feed from day one. My dr had told me not to mix and go back and fourth. But you can use a pump and store it no longer then a day. they say to breastfeed being it's a bond between mother and child, also the nutrients in the breast milk you cannot get anywhere else. but formula is not bad nor unhealthy. I stopped breastfeeding the day i came home. I was extremely sore and bleeding. she wouldn't latch right. here where i live i get "WIC" it is kinda like a welfare providing but it's to help have healthy babies and it pays for all of my formula and juice and when she get's older it provides me with the milk. i hope i helped!

Amber
thejonestrio
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 1:32 AM

Quoting kendallsmamma:

Although breastmilk is the best, there is NOTHING wrong with formula. I breastfed (well pumped because my daughter was very sick) for three months but it got to be too much so I switched to formula and she grew fine.... Plus it has been almost a month since you had your baby that your milk may not come in. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. And I agree, GOOD JOB ON STAYING IN SCHOOL!!!!

Well, I am sure that if you pump, you will get milk no matter... he is only a few weeks old, and I havent breastfed in almost a year and I am still producing...nto much, but enough to make you go... WHAT THE HECK!!!! And, any women with milk glands can pump and recieve something...  may not be much, but can be something... I know that the tube formula (my daughter had to be on formula the first day due to my complications) was invented by a nurse who adopted a baby adn wanted to breastfeed and couldnt... she attatched a little iv tube to a formula bottle so everytime the baby was nursing, it was gettting formula, but also producing milk in the adopting mother. To me, thats gross, but hey, she made it possible for me to breastfeed my duaghter without her confusion with the booby...
newmom_2007
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Quoting precious_smile:

your not the only one to bottle feed from day one. My dr had told me not to mix and go back and fourth. But you can use a pump and store it no longer then a day. they say to breastfeed being it's a bond between mother and child, also the nutrients in the breast milk you cannot get anywhere else. but formula is not bad nor unhealthy. I stopped breastfeeding the day i came home. I was extremely sore and bleeding. she wouldn't latch right. here where i live i get "WIC" it is kinda like a welfare providing but it's to help have healthy babies and it pays for all of my formula and juice and when she get's older it provides me with the milk. i hope i helped!

Amber
I just wanted to add that i too get wic, which is where I got a lot of my info on breastfeeding. If u decide that u do infact want to breastfeed know that u can store it for more than 1 day. (which is why i suggested strictly pumping for a bottle). Depending of course how u store the milk. In fact u can store it in a freezer for up to six months and a deep freeze for 6 mos to 1 yr! You can simply defrost the milk as u are ready to use. Just make sure to write the date you pumped on the milk storage container for future reference. Also, i suggest that if wic is available in your area, check them out! They help out a lot financialy and continue to pay for formula, food, etc. for ur baby for up to 5 yrs. after birth. They also have lactation consultants that can help u out with any other questions or concerns that u may have.

Raversam
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:26 AM
well i brestfeed from day one....and yes it gets them imunitys and what not...but TRUST me on this. just pump if u got ur baby on the bottle be thankful. mine neaver toulk to the bottel and i was traped at home for 6 mounths till i could get her on solids. thers not alot of places to BF in publick and it gets really hard if u want to go out and ur kid wont take to the bottle.
 but if u want the benifets yah just pump. but the formula and berest milk have about  equal nutrition by this point.
aetennant
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:59 AM
I have been breastfeeding since Tristan was born, he's now 6 months old. I know a lot of information on the subject, if you have any questions, you can message me! If you are going to breastfeed you will need to pump for every feeding you miss or your milk will dry up. If your son eats every 2 hours, you will need to pump every 2 hours to accommodate his needs. Going to school (that's awesome that you're in school, btw) & pumping is very difficult, but it can definitely be done! If you pump enough during school, you'll be able to save your milk & he would be able to have that instead of formula at daycare.

Here is some storage information for you:
Freshly expressed milk can be stored at room temp for up to 10 hours, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 8 days & in a separate freezer for 3-6 months!

Hope I helped a little, good luck with whatever you choose! Breastfeeding isn't for everyone, so don't feel pressured.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN