Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

This is so frustrating!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:17 AM
  • 13 Replies
I was reading my local newspaper online this morning, and I came across this in the opinion section:

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070718/OPINION01/707180335

The article is about how teen motherhood is declining, and how that is a good thing because teens don't understand child development, are often neglectful parents, and that children of teen parents are destined to live in poverty,  just like their parents.

As if we don't have enough trouble dealing with the stigma of being a young parent, someone had to go and print this stupid sh*t. It's just frustrating because I feel like I am just as good a parent as anyone else, regardless of how old I am. (I'm 20, by the way.) I've seen what you guys write about your kids. I KNOW that you are proud of them, that they are your world. I'm the same way about my son, Lennon. It just makes me mad that, in this group, there are so many PROUD TEEN MOMMIES who love their kid(s), but do we get any mention? No, just the parents who neglect their kids; the parents who give GOOD teen parents like us a bad name.

I guess that's just my opinion. Thanks for letting me bit*h for a minute!

Molly and Lennon
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrendansMommy
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:21 AM

im sure all or most of the moms on here are good moms but there are a lot that are not unfortunately....and u are 20 to me thats not that young, im 22 almost 23 but there are a lot of teen moms out there that dont take care of their kids the way they should...hope this doesnt offend anyone

1UniqueMama
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:23 AM
And theres also OLDER mothers that dont know how to take care of thier kids. Age is not what makes a mother.
BrendansMommy
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Quoting 1UniqueMama:

And theres also OLDER mothers that dont know how to take care of thier kids. Age is not what makes a mother.
yes that is very true

litt0m0mmy
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:31 AM
i agree with unique beause i know a mother of 2 toddlerkids who does nothing but smoke pot all day and doesnt watch her kids like its their fault she had them...children need love and attention. and i also know someone who is 42 and has a 4 yr old and acts the smae way if not worse, thinks its her other childrens responsibilties to watch the toddler. so age is not what defines a mother. although unfortunently, some people don't see that because most teen moms are not planning to do anything for themselves so they give us proud-loving mothers that label.
LeXaMillioN
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:32 AM

You are so right, and I hate the fact that some people look down on us young parents. I know when I had my son (@ 16) every older person was talking sh*t, and I jut brushed it off. I also hate the fact that every-time you open up a newspaper or read something on the Internet, its about how bad young parents are and so on and so fourth.
  What about us young parents who held their ground. The one's who finished school, who went on to get higher education, take care of their responsibilities, and haven't even turn 19 yet. I know every young person who gets pregnant is not meant to be a parent but you have to applaud the ones who have or are trying to make it through the storm !!

Dainians_Mom
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:33 AM

you are so right. i am 19 i got married at 16 i have a 20 month old son and a new one on the way.

i am a stay at home mom. me and my hubby are so happy together. i never had a father growing up thats one thange my children will have. i never live in a house. we were in trailers or shelters. right now i own a trailer our next step is a house.

i lived like trash all my life. i call what i have now a big step up from my past. i am a young parent and i have already accomplished more than both my parent. we can do every thang an older parent can do its not fare to judge all young parents on the mistakes of few.

plus young parents can relate to there kids better(in my opinion).

MeadTravis147
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Quoting BrendansMommy:

im sure all or most of the moms on here are good moms but there are a lot that are not unfortunately....and u are 20 to me thats not that young, im 22 almost 23 but there are a lot of teen moms out there that dont take care of their kids the way they should...hope this doesnt offend anyone

I would have to agree I am 19 I am due with my first around my 20th b-day..  I think we are not young teen moms.. My mom was 16 and only just turned 17 when she had me.. With how my mother "raised" me I almost wish she didnt get preg with me.. She was not ready and could not do it! So granted I have seen MANY Great young teens that have had kids and dont GREAT and Raised them better then parents who are 25-30 but same time I have seen people who are like my mother and shouldnt of had a baby.. I think it should be shown both ends of the spectrum and not jsut one end
Hellokittygurl
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:47 AM
i am 19 (gonna be 20 in december) and have my first on the way, im exactly the same age my mom was when she had my second oldest brother (She got married early, didnt work out, they were the same age, and after awhile just couldnt get along...but she was a great mom) she had my oldest brother when she had just turned 18. I have to agree that sometimes, it doesnt even matter if your a teen or not, some people werent made to be parents. Especially those that never wanted kids and ended up preggo by accident. Some have a change of heart, others dont. I guess its the same way with dad's. My so called father never wanted kids either but he never wanted to use pre-caution to NOT have kids. Thats a asshole for you lol.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Ravensmom07
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:57 PM
Ok, so I'm not a teen mother, but I am a young mother. My mother was only 16 when she had me and my dad was 20. They had my sister when they were 18 and 22. We didn't live in poverty my whole life. I'm sure that the first few years were tough, but my dad worked really hard. My mom was almost always a sahm, and the only time she worked was after my dad had an accident and broke both of his arms and couldn't work. We weren't rich by any means, but we also didn't live in poverty. Neither of my parents graduated hs, but since I was about 15 my dad has been making more money than my friends' dads that actually graduated college! Also, if children of teen parents are destined to live in poverty, then why do I have my own home, 2 trucks, a husband and a kid, and I am also able to be a sahm? I think that was a dumb statement! I loved having young parents we listened to the same kinds of music and liked alot of the same things! Also bc my parents were young when they had me they are able to enjoy my child alot more than if they were much older!

Mom to Raven Jade, Wife to Henry, Friend to Many

Squeak1
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 2:16 PM
ok so i had mydaughter at the age of 17. i'm a stay at hoome mom, i go to college and got my high school deploma. i work as much as i can.  i'm sorry but i know my daughter is happy and i know that i am going to make it just fine in life. i am now 18 looking for the right house for me and ready to move out on my own. her father is worthless and the court system around here isn't even trying to help me. i get WIC and thats it. the rest i do on my own. so for the people that say that young mom's are such a horrible thing thats their problem and maybe they need to think about the rest of the world and how things really are.  i'm sorry but i work my ass off so my daughter wont fall into that catigoury, i have lot all of my friends to working my ass off. the last time i went out and talked to a so called friend was at work before that i was still in school and people didn't know i was expecting.

Jen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)