Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Opinions and Comments on Stripping Membranes

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
Okay... here's the deal: i'm 36 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor today (7-18-07) and my cervix was long and closed. The doctor said that he's going to strip my membranes next week.  What's going to happen? i'm a little scared
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommyof03
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:06 PM
I got it done at 38 weeks with my son and he was born 6 hours later, but with my daughter they did it and nothing happened so it is hard to say I think if your body is ready for the baby to come out it just pushes you into labor but if your not ready I don't think it does anything!
Melissa221
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM

I dont really know the correct wording to describe it. But i had it done for my son. It wasn't painful and it did NOTHING!!! I was induced 2 weeks later!

mommy_jen
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:55 PM
what is your doctor's reason for stripping your membranes? i went to my 36 week appointment the other day and my doctor didn't mention anything about this.

angelofmusic
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 1:42 AM
i am not exactly sure what they do...but, i am 38 weeks and at each weekly appointment they ask me if i want them to. They told me that they basically go in and scrape (they implied that they dont use any tools...but i dont know how they do it) Supposedly it does something to levels of certain chemicals or something in your body that helps to induce the labor. They said once they do that, you can go into labor anywhere from a few hours to a few days. They told me it basically guarantees you will go into labor within the week. They said alot of moms get it done just because it makes the labor faster. My mom told me that it may make it faster, but it will also probably make it come on harder and stronger.
I dunno it all sounds a little scary to me. But, it should be ok.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)