Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

OMG. Im gonna cry. Please HELP!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:47 AM
  • 13 Replies
OMG. My son is 18 months and he has been in the hitting stage BAD!!!! He friken hits me hella hard in the face. Ive been sending him to time out but it's not working. I don't know what to do. I don't want to spank him back cause thats just defeating the perpose right?? Im 9 months preggo this is soo hard. Any advice would help. I feel like such a bad mother especially when he hits me infront of company, it's soo embarassing.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvnmybabies05
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:50 AM
i dont know that i have advice but i know the embarassing feeling but just cuz when we go out my 20 month old will stop walking and just stand there then if u grab him by the arm he does that thing were he wont stand up and people r looking at me like " why cant that lady control her child"
Momma_B
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:53 AM
wether it defeats the purpose or not, ur the mom and he is the child!  my opinion? spank his little butt.

angelofmusic
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:54 AM
i  dont think spanking is defeating the purpose... first though try talking to him, he may not understand, but tell him it hurts and that its not good. spanking his bottom may be a way to show him that hitting hurts..and when he hits there are consequences. obviously you cant just slap him, but a good spanking might get the point across. but make sure you explain why you are spanking him and to tell him that you love him afterwards, if you choose to do that...
i dunno ... hope this helps, and whatever you do decide to do, he will grow out of the hitting stage eventually. goodluck.
Nadine254
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 12:55 AM
well i have a 3 year old and a 19 month old and if they hit, they get a timeout, but i make sure 2 tell him "you dont hit" in a stern voice be-4 i put him in timeout, and then i set the timer for 1 and 1/2 minutes (for his age) and then i make him get up and come 2 me and look me in the eyes (or whoever he hits) and i ltell him again "you dont hit" and i make him say sorry and give kisses, and if he doesnt wanna say sorry, then its right back 2 the corner until he's ready 2 say sorry. it has 2 be consistant and it may take awhile for them 2 get it, but they will. my 3 yearold would never hit me now, and my 19 month old slips up sometimes and hits but he knows that's it wrong and ill just tell him 2 go sit in timeout and he does, its alotta work, but i would rather put the time and effort into teaching them, then trying 2 break a bad habbit later on. my son was 19 months when i had my second baby, so i know how u feel, and i was a very grumpy pregnant lady, good luck and i hope i helped
Ilovemy3bois
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:02 AM
thanks soo much Im just gonna continue doing the time out thing, and if it continues then I'll give a little spanking. Thanks AGAIN everyone :]
mrs.mcbane
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM
you hit me i hit you. thats what id do. i dont mean beat him, but swat his hand. he will consider that painful and cry, and you say well what you do to mommy hurts her. By no means hit him, but a swat no kid likes.

Jordan Habacker, lost April 2007 Abby Rose born 11-4-2006

(boothfamily for those who don't know.............)

There are better ways to bond. 100% against breastfeeding be shoved down my throat.

Its formula not rat poision. Get over it.

Child Loss group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/childloss

Mandi518
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 1:42 AM
PLEASE dont hit your child. Teaching him to respond with violence will only make the problems worse. You just need to get down to his level and use simple words to explain to him what is right and wrong. Parenting is hard but please dont result to violence, children mimick their parents , you are his rolemodel. It will reinforce the behavior.
braxtonsmoma
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM
I dont know if it helps but when my little guy started doing this we found good ways for him to hit. Like we do high fives or pound its (thats when you make a fist and tap knuckls) its super cute when he does this. It also gives him a way to use the physical action with out hitting. We just said no you dont hit mommy(I am the only one he ever hit) but, you can give mommy a high five. He got mad at first and walked away or threw a tantrum. Now he loves high fives and pound its. My husband even got him saying $ when he touchs knuckles with us.
Sidney24
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:50 AM
I have a 2 yr old a 5yr old and a 9 yr old and they fight like cats and dogs!  They all went through the hitting stage and currently my 2 yrs old is doing it now.  My hubby and my 5 yr old seem to get the worst of it.  I had tried the time out thing the spanking thing and nothing seemed to work.  I'd hope that over time he would just grow out of it. Some kids just are hard headed and some kids are just trying to test ur limits or may be their cry for attention.  If anything find an outlet for the kid to express his anger at like a plastic floor punching bag or a pillow, that's what I'm trying now and so far so good but it still hasn't completely stopped him for waylaying on his dad and sister.  But just keep trying and pray that the baby get's over it.
P.S.  I think that all children love to embarress their parents out in public I think it gives them a sense or purpose or accomplishment because you normally give them what they want just to keep them quiet and once you open that door there's no going back they are going to keep expecting to get what they want.  So there's some food for thought huh?
Sidney24
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:54 AM
pound it's are definately cute I have a 2 yr old who loves to do it all day we just call them "Pow Pow's" and his little face just lights up.  It's gotten him to have better use of his motor functions too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)