Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms
 Does anyone who is under the age of 21 and has a kid think that it is unfair that we cannot drink yet? In my honest opinion, if we can pop out a child, raise it well, and make the decisions for that child that we think are the best than don't we deserve the right to drink alchohol? I'm tired of being the only one in my house who isn't allowed to drink! My sister keeps rubbing that fact in my face. Just because she is 24. But hey she is single with no family responsibilities. I on the otherhand am two months away from being 20 years old with a daughter who is 2 1/2 months away from being two. If I haven't screwed her up yet than obviously I must be doing something right! Sorry that is my vent for the moment. I just wanted someone elses opinion on whether or not they think it is fair for us.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:24 AM
Replies (31-34):
Kristina726
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:28 AM
lol i hear you . . . It's just annoying I have older friends and even my husband is 22 and I would just like the  privilage to drink.  I can't even have a glass of wine at a romantic dinner with my hubby!

It seems like it gives people the opportunity to point out how young I am . . . especially as a young mother! If I can raise a child I can have a drink right?

It's also funny how, at age 18, they can trust young men with the responsibility to use a gun & fight in war but cannot trust them with a drink...something to think about.

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momemtous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

maleece0484
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:32 AM
yes it is unfair just like it is not fair that when you tur 18 you are old enoughto go fight for your country but you arnt old enough to smoke or drink yet! but  ihave been in your situation i had 2 kids before i turned 21 i just drank any way <when i didnt have my kids of course>
mrsgrody
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:49 AM
That just depends on the state you live in. In school I was told that in Ohio which is where I live you can legally drink with your parents and if your husband is over 21 you are legal because if you are married your spouse is your guardian intil you turn 21.
ANP0106
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:59 PM
I personally think that it's not unfair. I think 21 is a good age to keep the drinking age. I think it's so sad when I hear that young teens (or anyone for that matter) dieing in a car crash due to alcohol, so many young teens have died this year here because of that. I'm not a drinker so it never really bothered me when i was 18 that I couldn't legally drink. I think 18 is just way too young no matter if your a mother or not to have alcohol legal. They can't just allow mothers at 18 to drink and not the others who aren't mothers. Although I do understand where your coming from, I just think for many people's sake that it should stay 21. Even at 21 there still are a TON of people who still aren't responsible enough to drink alcohol, but I guess they can't really do anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)