Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Need opinons plz!!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:37 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi all,
Okay, I had my baby shower yesterday, and got a lot of great stuff. Can't complain honestly. BUT...(lol) my bf's mom got us a stroller that we won't use (we already have one and if we get another it will be a travel system), and my gma got us a pack n play (which is all fine and good, but it's just not the right one and I can't get any more info about it as far as safety, practicality, etc) and neither of them gave gift reciepts. Instead of returning them and getting store credit that we really don't need, would it be wrong of me to sell the stuff on craiglist so that we can get cash and pick up one of the bigger items we still need (and can't get if we get store credit because it;s from 2 different stores...)??? It makes sense on one hand, because we really don't have the room to store things we won't use just so feelings don't get hurt, but on the other hand it's kinda mean in a way...   I dunno. I just want to be able to get what baby girl needs, so what do you think???

by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amylito7
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:41 PM
I think that since the people who got these things for you are so close, you need to feel them out.  Are they going to care? Are they going to say some day down the road "Why don't you use the pac n play i got you?" stuff like that......its better to upfront with them now and ask them what they think you should do b/c otherwise it will be more uncomfortable later......if it was people that would never know the difference and never wonder what happened to their gift i would say do w/e you want with it
lilmama2be
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:45 PM
Well, my gma lives 4 hours away, and she won't ever know the difference, cuz I rarely see her. Bf's mom will know though. (but she's on my nerves so much when it comes to MY daughter, I'm not inclined to care what she thinks.There's issues where she's already trying to infringe on me being the mother.) She does know we have another stroller, and if my dad gets us the travel system I'll be using that anyway, so...?

candimairee007
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:45 PM
Oh, do I know how you feel...I got THREE carseats (and the same exact ones) at my baby shower. Kind of embarassing, but in your case I don't see any wrong in selling them on craigslist or ebay. Another idea would be to save it and give it to a friend when they are having a baby. Or you can give it to your boyfriend's mother and tell her to keep it so that when she babysits she can a stroller for herself.

Hope that helped!
lilmama2be
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 6:48 PM
If we didn't need other stuff for her right now, I wouldn't mind saving it for a friend or whatever but we are dead broke, and neither of us is working, and still need a few bigger things. As for his ma, she has everything already (basically as if it were her having the baby, that's how much she went out and bought....with no job, and the state's money mind you...) So it would be kind of pointless to tell her that... 

1stimemomof1
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 8:09 PM
I had a similar problem.....I didn't get a stroller, but then my grents got me a travel system.......I love it and all but sometimes it's a pain in the neck to haul in and out of the car. I use the umbrella stroller alot now!

lilmama2be
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:02 PM
I talked it over with my bf and he's all for it. We are going to pick up what we really need with the money we get from the stuff we don't need. He even took it further saying we get rid of the second bouncer, the other stroller (only because if we do get the travel system we won't use it anyway), and some of the clothes I got at rummage sales (we have a ton we won't be able to use...). So we shall see. But thanks for all the opinions!!

amanda_simmons
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:05 PM
 I do not see anything wrong with it. I had to do the same thing.
ABMommy
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:11 PM
I don't blame you! My aunt bought me a swing for my baby shower *she also helped throw the shower* and it was my daughter's theme for her room. My BEST FRIEND also bought me a swing and it was the really neat ones that swung sideways or back and forth *this was five years ago so the first was the plain and simple one*. SO it was a very hard decision but I spoke to my BF and explained that we really only need one swing and I could still use the money for diapers and wipes shampoo etc and you could tell it did hurt a little but my aunt THREW the shower and she bought the one I picked out so I had to keep it. She ended up understanding. To top it off my daughter was a WONDERFUL baby and only went in the swing ONE time *just so I could say she liked it to my aunt lol* and never needed to use it! When she outgrew her bouncy chair she was all over the ground or in her saucer. =) Good luck and get what you need!

Tamika3
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:14 PM
Well, you didn't tell them what you needed so I would be upset if you took something back I got for the baby and didn't have to get. People sometimes ask what dose the baby need first before buying. Just keep the gifts because down the line it might come in handle or one of your friends might have a baby.
lilmama2be
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM
They knew what I needed because I made a registry. Definitely didn't do it for my health... And I won't keep them for down the line because we have no place to keep stuff we don't need, (hardly have space for the stuff we do need) just in case a friend might have a baby. I don't have that luxury right now. I have no money, or I would have bought what I wanted/needed in the first place so I didn't have to worry about it. But I won't save it for someone else when there are things my daughter needs now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)