Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

single mom/National Guard

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2007 at 1:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 2073 Total Views
Hello,
i am about to enlist in the national guard.  i am a single mother of two.  it is very scary knowing that you could be deployed.  the best advise someone told me was to stay in school as long as you can.  the thing im going into is 30 weeks long plus 9 of bootcamp and then i'm enrolling in the ROTC program which i'm guaranteed not to be deployed for the first year i'm in that.  so it leaves me with the possibility of being deployed in 1 year instead of 3.  the thing that i'm looking at the most is that i'm doing this for my kids also.  i'm in a rough situation with really no alternative.  i am scared, but i know that this is what i need to be doing.
by on Apr. 3, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
smbailey
by New Member on May. 7, 2007 at 1:53 PM
i am recently divorced from active army and getting ready to enlist in the reserves, i know how you are feeling so if you ever want to talk. let me know!
i read your post cause i am finishing school as well, be careful with rotc cause they can pull some of your bonus money, well at least that is what i have been told as well as researched
Jen_L
by on Oct. 27, 2007 at 10:24 PM
I'm not trying to be harsh but you cannot enlist if you are afraid to deploy. There is a war going on and your job will be first before your family. Your signing your life away and you have no say as to how it will be treated. Our children are the most precious things in the world and being a military brat puts a lot more stress on them then kids who do not have parents in the military. My son was not a planned pregnancy. I had him about a year after I got to my first duty station.The military is not for the faint of heart. Don't enlist just to get chaptered out because you can't handle it. I don't mean to be ofensive at all I'm sorry if I'm comming on too strong.  I just wish people would take the time to really think about their future AFTER they join. YOU WILL DEPLOY. And most likely for 15 months. Be honest with yourself and really weigh your options. Best wishes and good luck!
Soldier_Momma
by on Jan. 4, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Alright chica the best way to give advise is tell you where I came from. I was stationed in Germany got preganant  by a dead beat little boy that was playing soldier. I had my son May 23, 2005 my commander came to me a week after I got off of con-leave asking if  my son was packed and if Iwas ready to deploy. Mind you during the whole time of my preganacy I was trainrd to do rear-detachment NOT to deploy. I was then forced to apply for a AER loan to take my four month old son to Detroit and then be sent thru a rush training for Iraq. Baby girl you have to be ready to deal with the BS of the military. No the Army is not sympathetic and no the chain of command does NOT care about your family the only thing on their  minds are numbers and thats boots on ground. That was my job by the way when I got deployed. But I look at it as a learning experice. I went to school , I reenlisted ( regardless of what happened to me), I got a 17k bonus and I'm stationed on a TRADOC post. You just have to go with the mission and drive on.
crazy4mykids89
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM
I am thinking of in rolling in the national guard i am to also scared ot join but i have my kids lifes at stack im a yuong mom of two and i need to know that i have options open if i get deployed than i pray to god to watch over me and my kids also i heard that when you get done with basic and ait that your kids can come and live with you on base. thats what a recruter said so look in to your options ladies theres alot you can do with you joining i am just as scared as you all are to be but we are a army of one we are mothers we are fighting for one of the most wonderful things in the world our kids freedom. i hope that we all are safe in our descions either we go in or not. may god watch over you and yours kids. ttyl.
OmsYankeeMama
by on Nov. 24, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Deployment is pretty inevitable hon. I'm looking into enlisting (you do not JOIN it is not a club) in the Nat. Guard. The guard keeps you home alot, yes. Training is awesome and with some college education you can get soem awesome jobs. But you dont get housing pay, you kids live with you but you dont live on post. Not usually. You're looking at being a citizen soldier, not active duty, which you can't do with custody of your kids anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)