Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Enrolling in Pre-School

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 396 Total Views

I just read a similar post to this, so I apologize for any repititions..

My oldest daughter is 3 1/2, she will be 4 on 9-7-09. She has been in and out of daycare since she was an infant, but right now I am a SAHM and my girls are not enrolled in any kind of school. We want to send Meah back to school, but not back to their daycare for pre-school. She learned there, but we can't afford it.

We live in the city, near McNabb, which would be the public school that she would have to attend for pre-school, and my husband absolutely refuses for her to go there. He went there when he was little and says he doesn't want our girls going there. Our only other option is Clark Elem. which would be awesome, but I'm not sure that they will allow her to go there, even if I provide transportation for her.

I have been on the phone all morning with the city and county school board offices as well as other private pre-schools, and I haven't gotten far. Olivet Baptist Church is out, St. Mary is supposed to mail me an information packet, but my husband isn't too hot on that idea because he doesn't want think we will be able to afford it, and I can't send her to Concord, which is where we REALLY want her to go because the county will not accept children that live in the city.. SO, back to sqaure one for me.

I am wondering if anyone knows any more information about enrolling children in pre-school. Where does your child go to pre-school? and what did you have to do to get them started?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mack_Mommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM

She can not go until she is 4. If they do not turn 4 before Oc 01 of that year then they are not going to be able to start preschool. She can start in the fall but not before....and make sure she is potty trained. I send mine to St Mary's and she loves it. They have a half day program as well.

EmilyN2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM

She will be 4 on September 7th. We are trying to get her enrolled for the fall. I called St. Mary today, and I was hoping she could answer some of my questions then, but she just told me she would mail me an information packet. Does your daughter go M-F? I want mine to go FT and of course half a day. What are the rates there?

Quoting Mack_Mommy:

She can not go until she is 4. If they do not turn 4 before Oc 01 of that year then they are not going to be able to start preschool. She can start in the fall but not before....and make sure she is potty trained. I send mine to St Mary's and she loves it. They have a half day program as well.

leigh_ann
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:44 AM

My daughter will turn three on Monday and we have been working on getting her into preschool at Reidland.  She was doing speech with First Steps and so she qualifies to go to preschool at age 3 because she looses speech help at home once she turns 3.   

I know all of the stuff that I had to have before she can start Preschool at Reidland, maybe that will help.  She had to have a preschool physical either with her pediatrician or at the Health Dept. , she had to have a lead test , they recommened doing that at the health dept because its only a little stick in the finger where as the dr. office would have to draw blood.  And she has to have her eyes checked.  On top of course a mound of paperwork that I had to fill out.  Like I said don't know if it would be the same for you or not. 

I do know that when it comes to private schools....If Daycare was out of the question for Preschool because of the cost, so will St. Mary's...I have cousins that have gone there that were even Catholic so they got a little bit of a break but said it was still really expensive and they can barely afford to send there two boys there.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Maw-to-many
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Try the First Christian Church out by PCC.One of my godkids went there.It wasn't real expensive and they were very good with her.She was diagnoised ADHD while there and recieved very good help.

Maw-to-Many

Dharrell
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM

I pulled this off their website: www.smss.org.  I'm honestly wanting to say that the price is now $22.00 for fulltime M-F.  I'm not exactly sure though.  If you have any other questions about St. Mary send me a message/email dlharrell2001@hotmail.com I'll try and help you out.  My son has been going there since about Nov. and he loves it. 

HOURS AND FEES
HOURS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 6:30 A.M. – 5:30 P.M.
(Children ARE NOT to be dropped off before 6:30 A.M. as there isn’t a staff member available to watch them.)
PRIME-TIME LEARNING - - - - - 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.
PART-TIME (UNDER 4 HOURS and BEFORE NOON)- - - - - $12.00 A DAY
FULL TIME (OVER 4 HOURS or PAST NOON) - - - - - - - - $20.00 A DAY
REGISTRATION FEE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $50.00
(Deducted from the first bill.)
LATE FEE - $15.00 for a pick up after 5:30 P.M., then $1.00 per minute past the first fifteen minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)