Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special needs and early head start.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

So my daughter has cistic fibrosis which doesnt really cause problems except the fact that she is a very poor eater and i am a very overprotective mom.

Well she is aout to start attending a little preschool type daycare. This school is a little strange. Parents are not supposed to send anything but a change of clothes with their children. They have their own diapers, thier own sippy cups, their own food, everything. Which is nice cause it saves me from having to buy all of those things. However my daughter is picky about sippy cups, and she is allergic to certain kinds of diapers, and she has to be watched closely when outside to make sure she is not overheated and to make sure she is getting enough water. So i was at orientation asking a million questions and people were getting annoyed with me.

Its aggrevating. i just needed to vent about it.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Keep annoying them if necessary!!  Your kiddo requires special things and they can't/shouldn't treat her like everyone else. you were right for giving them all the info and asking questions.  It's hard to start a new thing like this. 

by Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I am just so discouraged... I dont even know if i want to put her in the program anymore. I was telling my mom about everything and she was saying i shouldnt put her in it. and i said i wanted to try it out and if it didnt work i would withdraw her. But its an early head start which is a government program and we are just worried that once she is enrolled then she will be in their system and she will have to stay. I asked them about it and they told me we could withdrawl but i dont want there to be any problems or anything... i just think its more trouble than its worth..... i dont know what to do....

by Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Nothing with these kiddos is more trouble than it's worth.  Parenting with a child who has special needs requires constant adjustment and adaptation.  It it both her and your right to have this head start program make the proper adaptations for her.  Keep praying about it.  Give it a try.  And if it doesn't work, know that you now have a better sense of what she needs in a school setting.  Be encouraged!  You're a good mom who's doing all the right things for her daughter!

by Group Admin on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Listen to your gut and keep an eye on things real close.Dont let themintimidate you.I would even make suprise visits

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I am starting homeschool with my kids because headstart did not work for my son.  All you have to do in Texas is send a letter to the school saying that you are withdrawing your child with the intent to home educate.  No big deal there are no strict regulations or anything else attached.  Therefore you don't have to be afraid of getting stuck in the school system.  However, I am curious if she is going to be super vulnerable to getting sick with the CF that would be my only concern.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)