Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello I have a few questions.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

I am a student seeking my early childhood education degree. I sub at a local school for special needs assistants. I have a heart for special needs children. I am also a christian and my pastors family have two down's syndrome children that I help out with. I recently started teaching sounds and working on fine motor skills with the younger child. He is now eight.

I have two questions I need to ask for my course. I will take the answers and put them in my paper and also use the information to help my pastors wife.

Do you as a parent feel that your child's school system supports your child's individual needs?

Do you have a child with downs syndrome and if so what are some of your daily challanges? The child I know is eight and will not potty train. Do you have any advice on how to potty train an eight year old downs syndrome child?

I would appreciate any advice for working with special needs children.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tafkabecky
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Hello!  My 5 yr old daughter has Speech Apraxia and is in the early childhood/pre-K program at our local public school (Belleville, IL).  I do feel my daughter's needs are being met.  Her main challenge is her lack of speech. She is 5, but talks at an 18 month olds level. Mostly vowels, very few consinents. She uses a Dynavox V, and sign language to make up for her lack of oral words. If it were'nt for the wonderfull teachers and therapists at the school, I would have never known what a dynavox is, let alone own one.

My daughter is in what they call an "integrated" class. It has 10 "normal" kids and 5 higher functioning special needs kids, 1 teacher and 2 aids. The disabilities of the special needs kids in that class range, but I feel that the teachers go out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. Just yesterday I was talking to a mom of one of the "normal" kids in my daughter's class and I asked the mom what her daughter says about my daughter not talking. She said that her daugher said "Sade dosnt talk very good, but thats ok, because Mrs. E helps her"  wow! I think thats a very mature answer for a 5 yr old. When I was a kid, growing up in public school, most of the kids made fun of the kid who talked funny and the kid who was in a wheel chair. I realize this still goes on in alot of schools today, but at my daughters school, they really teach that it is ok if a kid is diffferent (whatever may be his/her challenge). I think that is great!

If you want to talk to me more about this, feel free to email me tafkabecky@hotmail.com

im not on here very much so email isprobably the best way to get me.

I hope you get all the information you need for your  course :-)

Becky

BeckyB :-)  Mom to Sade (born November 2003) with Apraxia of Speech, and uses a DynaVox V and sign language :-) Sensory intigration is improving :-)
MaritzaSL
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Hi,

I have a 5 yr old son who has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS (Autistic spectrum).  He was diagnosed before his 3rd birthday.  The school district provided some support, but I supplemented with private therapy because I believed he needed more therapy than they were offering.  Now that he is 5 yrs old, the therapy that the school district offers seems adequate to his needs.

Regarding potty training:  We struggled to potty train our son, even though he is not down's syndrome.  I can only suggest things that ended up working for us...  I had to "gear up" for the task.  I went to a party store and bought stickers and favors as "prizes".  I put a sampling of stickers on a piece of paper inside a sheet protector and stuck them to the bathroom wall - visible, yet just out of his reach.  I also put prizes on our bathroom window sill (which he could see, but could not reach).  Then I chose a weekend (and week) where my schedule was pretty empty so that I could dedicate myself to the task of potty training.  We started on a weekend by putting our son in underwear and talking to him about how the underwear liked to be dry.  Then we put him on the toilet every 45 minutes (using a kitchen timer) - each time asking him to pee.  There were at least 2 days of nothing on the toilet, and then 20 minutes later, a puddle on the floor.  We kept trying - showing him that he could have stickers or prizes or new "Thomas" underwear, etc. if he peed in the toilet.  There was one day when I was so frustrated that I kept the poor kid reading books on the toilet for nearly an hour - simply because I knew that it had been at least 4 hours since he last peed.

We got lucky.  I think it was only the 3rd day when the "lightbulb" went on.  My husband and I were frustrated.  Our son was lying on the floor in the hallway - throwing a tantrum because he did not want to sit on the toilet.  So I asked him, "Where does Daddy pee?"  He said, "On the toilet".  Then I asked him, "Where does Mommy pee?"  "On the toilet" he replied.  So then I asked him, "Where does Cole pee?"  He started to say, "On the toilet" - but I jumped in and said, "On the floor!"  And that conversation led to his first successful pee in the toilet.  The stickers & prizes did their job after that.

Hope that helps.

-Maritza

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)