Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wic Items at Walmart

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM
  • 34 Replies
  • 15774 Total Views

Just wanted to vent about the other night when i was using my fruit and vegetables voucher at walmart i picked out all the same canned fruit that i usally get at my local grocery and it always works there. The caisher starts ringing it up and says that none of the items are wic approved and i tell her that they are at lowes foods (my local grocery store) and she calls a CSM and she comes over there and tells me that i can only get fresh fruits and for me to take my stuff back. i tell her i can usally get them elsewhere and she dont believe me which it plainly says in the wic book that the fruit in the cups are approved as long as they are in juice and are sugar free which that is what my items were and i never had a problem getting them at my grocery store. I had to get diapers is why i even was getting my wic items at walmart anyways. i usally go to the grocery store to get them. i was also buying other can items at the time so i found some that i was getting  to work and just bought the fruits on my other order. She didn't know what to say when it let me get those other canned items after she had just said that i could only get fresh fruit. i told her you can get can, fresh or frozen and that next time i will just go to the grocery store.

anyone else have problems getting wic items at Walmart? or is it just the walmarts in my area. they should also have the things marked like my grocery store does to make it easier for us.

by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaslilman06
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM

i havent had any problems with the fruits or veggies at walmart, but with orange juice (concentrated too) at another grocery store. they tried to tell me that it wasnt approved but i had that little pamphlet that they give you with the approved items and it says "any brand orange juice" the were able to override it then. as for the marked things my walmart doesnt and it bugs me since there are a couple times i forget the little pamphlet and cant remember what cereal or something else is and isnt wic

LoveMy2Boys426
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM

My son used to be on a very special expensive formula and it was so annoying with wic.  It would say "Nutren Junior Vanilla With Fiber 24 Cans".  I had to special order it from the pharmacy and Walmart's computer would always say it wasn't WIC approved.  The pharmacy people got used to seeing me every month and would override it but the cashiers never would.  Unfortunately, Walmart was the only place that had a pharmacy and accepted WIC so I had no choice.  I also hated how long it would take to use a WIC voucher especially at a busy place like Walmart.  Luckily, I found a home health company that would deliver it to our house and charge Medicaid... made my life easier!

But yea- I think it is just walmart!  Most grocery stores will have signs pointing out wic items.

Dolybye
by Member on Feb. 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I can't even get my WIC at walmart.... I have to go to the stores... But I haven't had any real problems with any of it yet.

NewMom2RAD
by on Feb. 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Don't get WIC stuff at Walmart, ugh. they never have anything to choose from and it's a mess.

My store that I go to now has everything fully stocked, and specifically labelled for WIC. It's perfect and I love it. When there was only one kind of bread you could get, they had a HUGE HUGE stockpile of it with big red WIC stickers. They are so considerate there.

I tried to buy brown rice at Walmart nad the gave me grief...and its ON there.

__bcnp
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Quoting Dolybye:

I can't even get my WIC at walmart.... I have to go to the stores... But I haven't had any real problems with any of it yet.

lovingmy3babies
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM

My WIC office actually told me to AVOID Walmart for cashing in vouchers. She said that they never have updated list there.

mamadee1971
by on Apr. 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

On my WIC, I can only get fresh or frozen fruits and veggies and it cannot be mixed fruits or mixed veggies. but each Walmart is slightly different, depends on the manager.

I hate that they don't label the WIC approved cereals.

3watsonbabies
by on Apr. 24, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I was told by my WIC office that ONLY fresh fruits and veggies were approved, not canned or frozen.. looks like there are mixed messages going around.

coug7099
by on Apr. 25, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I haven't gotten WIC in years but there used to be pamphlets that told exactly what was and was not allowed. Don't they still have those? How long have you been able to get fruit and vegetables on WIC? What a great idea. Wal-Mart is only hurting themselves by forcing people to buy their WIC items at other stores. That makes no sense to me.

LokisMama
by on Apr. 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I have had so much trouble with WIC here in Florida because they keep changing it.  I don't even know what cheese I can get anymore because the cheese I got last month doesn't work this month. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)