Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WIC and baby food

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 853 Total Views

My baby is going to be 6 months old at the end of the month which is when I'm going to be getting my next 3 months worth of checks so I'm gonna start getting the baby food along with my food. I was planning on making my own baby food but I know they're going to give me vouchers for the prepackaged stuff. I wonder if they would give me instead more vouchers for fresh fruit and veggies? Should I even mention it at my appt? I don't want to sound selfish or anything. I guess I should just use the baby food that they allow me to get but I really had my heart set on making my own baby food...

by on Jul. 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoonna
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM

My son has allergies and can't recieve :milk, eggs, and peanut butter. He recieves no substitutes.He just don't get them. I think they just give the packages they give.... Did you recieve abnd vouchers for the farmers market? I did get those and they are helpful. Good luck!

Daynaof3
by Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to do that. You can ask, it never hurts to ask. You don't have to cash all the vouchers, you can just get some and use your fresh fruits and veggies checks for yourself to make the baby food for your little one.

Skyblue8400
by Member on Jul. 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I asked because I prefer organic and wanted to make my own with organic fruits and veggies and I was told no. But you could try to ask also maybe your office is different.

just_glider
by Member on Jul. 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM
if u dont use them...give the baby food away to a food bank
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jemm
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Always ask, and if one person says no, try to get the next appointment with a different person. I was lucky when my daughter was young, she couldn't drink milk so one lady finally let me adjust my milk to cheese ratio, because she could eat cheese just fine. I was getting a ton of cheese and like two gallons of milk. I was off WIC a month before the fresh produce was added so I don't have any experience with that part. 

Another thing to do is find someone to trade with. Maybe a friend has a child on baby food and they would be willing to buy you some produce in exchange for the baby food you get. I did that with my mom and traded milk with her before I got it adjusted.  

supermama68
by Member on Sep. 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM

If you are breastfeeding they may consider it. I was told that it's automatic what they give all people who receive WIC in my local office and they don't get anything different, all get the same at the same time frames. But I hated it because the baby food is so hard to buy on WIC. My daughter only liked the corn & rice in the 3rd foods and I couldn't buy anything else but applesauce or pears or peaches and she didn't like those. It has to be something that is pure veggies or fruits on the jar and she didn't like any of it. I'm so glad she is on solids now (she's 11 months old) and they now give us regular foods on our WIC vouchers instead of stinking baby food.

JacobsMommy05
by Member on Sep. 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

It couldn't hurt to ask but the probably won't. I agree if you don't use the baby food don't waste the vouchers give the baby food to food banks or places that could use them.

mamabear8869
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Where I'm at if you have a script from the dr. they will give whats called Bright Beginnings instead of milk...

Quoting mommytoonna:

My son has allergies and can't recieve :milk, eggs, and peanut butter. He recieves no substitutes.He just don't get them. I think they just give the packages they give.... Did you recieve abnd vouchers for the farmers market? I did get those and they are helpful. Good luck!

Jenn8604
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Exactly if they wont let u change than donate it to ur local food pantry. We did that with the things we dont eat.

Quoting just_glider:

if u dont use them...give the baby food away to a food bank

Please join me at Midnight working moms. A place for all you moms who have to work midnights.

KRISTYLOVE
by New Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Yes, you should ask. When my youngest was a year, I asked for more cheese instead of peanut butter and/or beans. Well she was able to let me do it for a few months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)