Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grocery Costs after WIC?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 3:24 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 719 Total Views

With getting WIC, how much did your grocery bill decrease? This is what I'll be getting with WIC starting the 17th. I'm counting this into my September budget because I won't eat much of this until next month. I'll still need to buy some snacks and lunch/dinner type foods, but I'm sure it won't be too much,

41⁄2 gallons 1% lowfat or fat free milk and 3 lb cheese

36 oz breakfast cereal

1 lb 100% whole wheat bread

144 oz fruit juice

2 dozen eggs

30 oz canned tuna or salmon

$10 voucher for fresh, frozen, or canned fruits and vegetables

1 lb dry beans (or four 16-oz cans of beans) and 18 oz peanut butter

by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 3:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortycmlb
by Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this

When I got it, it cut my bill by about $80-100 a month, mainly because of all the milk. Milk runs like water in my  family lol.

A good quick recipie, take 2 cans of tuna, 1-2 tbsp mayo, 1 can corn (all cans drained), mix it in a bowl and you can eat it as a sandwich, or with saltines! I usually add relish and egg whites but DH hates it lol but thats a basic recipie, and you can make the vegetable vouchers stretch by buying cheaper ones like bananas or bags of small apples instead of the per lb ones. 

MandiFuego
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Quoting shortycmlb:

When I got it, it cut my bill by about $80-100 a month, mainly because of all the milk. Milk runs like water in my  family lol.

A good quick recipie, take 2 cans of tuna, 1-2 tbsp mayo, 1 can corn (all cans drained), mix it in a bowl and you can eat it as a sandwich, or with saltines! I usually add relish and egg whites but DH hates it lol but thats a basic recipie, and you can make the vegetable vouchers stretch by buying cheaper ones like bananas or bags of small apples instead of the per lb ones. 

Thanks for the reply, it's kinda hard to figure out cuz I'm the only person that eats. I used to be able to eat for $100 a month, and this will drop that down quite a bit, but leave me eating cereal or eggs for breakfast, but I can also use the cereal and an egg with some ground beef, and make salibury steak, and then with the cheese, I can take some broccoli and cheese with a bit of milk, and stuff chicken breasts. so, I can def use the food i'll get, it's just making sure not to waste it! ( I'll be freezing or trading the milk)

shortycmlb
by Member on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Lol Have you been on WIC before? I usually freezed the milk too :)

Quoting MandiFuego:

Quoting shortycmlb:

Thanks for the reply, it's kinda hard to figure out cuz I'm the only person that eats. I used to be able to eat for $100 a month, and this will drop that down quite a bit, but leave me eating cereal or eggs for breakfast, but I can also use the cereal and an egg with some ground beef, and make salibury steak, and then with the cheese, I can take some broccoli and cheese with a bit of milk, and stuff chicken breasts. so, I can def use the food i'll get, it's just making sure not to waste it! ( I'll be freezing or trading the milk)

MandiFuego
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 4:14 AM

during my pregnancy yeah, I missed 2 months of vouchers after I had my baby, wasn't able to get in  to see them til this friday

Quoting shortycmlb:

Lol Have you been on WIC before? I usually freezed the milk too :)

Quoting MandiFuego:

Quoting shortycmlb:

luvhubandbabys
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine goes down a lot. My 2 daughters are on it pllus me for my pregnancy. I save so much just on milk n cereal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cambriagurlmom
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

It has only lowered our monthly cost by $60. Not much when our monthly food costs are around $400 on average. I hit sales, Comp just about everything, and we eat healthy non junk food items. 3 of us our on specialized diets that require some items that are just expensive and never on sale so a lot of our cost is with that. With a family of 7 I think we do pretty good but only one of us gets wic. I do donate the juice and some of the cereal because in Arkansas where we live we can not choose not to get an item. No one in our house can drink the juice and we do not eat that much cereal in the first place so we always have 4 to 6 boxes hanging around the house. There is also 4 of us that are lactose and one of them is the one recieving WIC. We use to be able to get goat or almond milk for her but they changed the regulations and they don't allow it. She has lactose and soy allergies. I have almost dropped WIC because they can not help with her and I have told them point blank that its the other members in the house that use the milk but they said at least its being used.

badgirl44654
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM
If your doctor will write a prescription for the milk she uses then wic will allow it. At least it used to be that way.

Quoting Cambriagurlmom:

It has only lowered our monthly cost by $60. Not much when our monthly food costs are around $400 on average. I hit sales, Comp just about everything, and we eat healthy non junk food items. 3 of us our on specialized diets that require some items that are just expensive and never on sale so a lot of our cost is with that. With a family of 7 I think we do pretty good but only one of us gets wic. I do donate the juice and some of the cereal because in Arkansas where we live we can not choose not to get an item. No one in our house can drink the juice and we do not eat that much cereal in the first place so we always have 4 to 6 boxes hanging around the house. There is also 4 of us that are lactose and one of them is the one recieving WIC. We use to be able to get goat or almond milk for her but they changed the regulations and they don't allow it. She has lactose and soy allergies. I have almost dropped WIC because they can not help with her and I have told them point blank that its the other members in the house that use the milk but they said at least its being used.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
badgirl44654
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM
You could also get chex cereal and make chex mix with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Honestly, if we didn't get WIC, we'd often be without a lot of what's on there, just simply because we can't afford it...As it is now, we only spend... a max of $200 a month, and that's being extremely generous. I get about $20 a week to buy everything, inluding toilet paper. I might get to spend $40 about every other week.

raven1114
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Honestly I'm not sure. We get

3 gallons + 1 quart of milk

1 pound of cheese

36 oz of cereal

2 loves of bread or tortillias

1 18oz jar of peanut butter

2 64 oz juices

$6 on fruits and veggies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)