Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was just thinking that a main post for just recipes for your WIC food would be a good idea. 
Also any other cheap to make recipes you use at home.

Maybe admin can sticky it?

EDIT: most of the things I've posted came from here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Learning_Center/WICfood_recipes.html
There are TONS more there too, I just posted some of them.

My Photography site      

psst... click it... --->   

Northeast Kansas Moms 

Movie Rating Moms    

by on Feb. 15, 2008 at 5:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
chagenue
by Member on May. 7, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Cheese-Garlic Biscuits from Betty crocker

Cheese-Garlic Biscuits

Do you have 15 minutes to spare? Surprise your family by baking a batch of these restaurant-style biscuits!

Prep Time:5 min
Start to Finish:15 min
Makes:9 biscuits
Cheese-Garlic Biscuits
full starfull starfull starfull starfull star
127 Ratings
40 Reviews
Rate/Review
Read Reviews

2cups Original Bisquick® mix
2/3cup milk
1/2cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
2tablespoons butter or margarine
1/8teaspoon garlic powder
1.Heat oven to 450ºF.
2.Stir Bisquick mix, milk and cheese until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 9 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3.Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir together butter and garlic powder; brush over warm biscuits.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) No changes.

Nutrition Information

1 Serving: Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 70 ); Total Fat 8 g (Saturated Fat 3 g); Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 460 mg; Total Carbohydrate 17 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 4 g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 10 %; Iron 4 % Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Substitution
Double the garlic hit by replacing the 2 tablespoons butter with garlic butter.
Variation
Cut warm biscuits horizontally in half, and fill with scrambled eggs and a slice of cheese for Cheese-Garlic Breakfast Sandwiches.
daydreaminmom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM

We have quesadillas at least a couple times a month to use up the cheese. We pick a different mix of flavors each month and then shred them up and melt them between a couple flour tortillas. They are really filling and the kids love them. You can also brown some ground meat and layer it with the cheese before you melt it all.

I use the evaporated milk to make my alfredo sauces super creamy and think n rich.

We make our own breakfast biscuits instead of getting them in the drive thru. I make biscuits from scratch (which uses eggs and milk) the night before as well as a big batch of scrambled eggs (more milk and eggs there). Then in the morning you just get out the biscuits, eggs, cheese and some lunch meat (ham is our favorite), layer them, nuke em to warm everything and you have a great fast breakfast to eat on the go.

I add juice to cakes and muffin mixes for a lil extra flavor. My fav is pineapple juice in my upside down cake or my pina colada cup cakes. Just replace the water with juice and you add Vitamin C too!

We LOVE milkshakes so we've started adding a good dollop of peanut butter to ours, if you add it to chocolate shakes or with some chocolate chips, it's like a reese's shake!

To stretch the cereal budget without blah-ing the kids out, I buy one family sized bag of off brand "fruity pebbles" and mix it 1/3 fruity cereal to 2/3 plain crisp rice cereal in a large tupperware cereal server. The kids LOVE it and won't even eat plain pebbles anymore!!! My son even told my mom that she didn't make his cereal "right" the last time we were visiting because she only had fruity.
This also works with fruit loops and "cheerios".

You can crunch up corn flakes for breading your "fried" chicken (we bake ours for healthier eating). You can use it in most recipes in place of bread crumbs and for fried ice cream.

mommyto6girls
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 3:36 AM

I called this one "Open Faced Cheeseburger Eggs Sandwiches"

(For 8 servings)

Ingredients:

1 dozen eggs, beaten

1 lb. ground beef

Shredded cheddar cheese

8 slices American cheese

8 slices bread

Directions:

1. Brown ground beef. Drain and return to pain.

2. Beat eggs together. Season. Add shredded cheese.  Add to ground beef. Scramble.

3. Place slice of bread on plate. Top with scrambled eggs. Place slice of cheese over eggs.

4. Microwave for 15 seconds.

Sorry the directions are fuzzy. LOL I made this one up and suck at typing directions.

~*~ Crystal ~*~
Wife to Christopher Michael since 3/20/99
Mommy to:
Crystina Leighanne (5/14/98)
Carolyn Veronica Eunice (9/23/02)
Caitlyn Renee (10/19/05)
Charlotte Alayna (10/20/05)
Cheyenne Elyzabeth (10/10/07)
Courtney Michelle (10/10/07)

anotherandree
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Bean Burgers

1/2 package white beans (cooked)

1 sm can ham (the kind that looks like a tuna can)

salt and pepper to taste

Mush up the beans to make a paste, adding flour to thicken it up.  Add entire can of ham.  Form into a patty, then brown in a large skillet with butter and/or oil to keep it from sticking.  Place on a toasted bun with thousand island dressing.  Top with sauted onions if desired.

This is so incredibly inexpensive to make!!

ConnersMom03
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Hey, Thanks for all the great recipe ideas.  I have one problem, since I've been on WIC for the past 4 mos, I haven't figured out what to use the beans for.  So we have TONS of beans.  Do you know of good Soup recipes, like minestrone/ other types that would use a lot of beans?  We really need to be saving more money and use the beans, so I would appreciate recipe ideas. Thanks!!

Lilypie - (KyDC) Lilypie - (mepc)
Deborah Walstad, Independent Consultant for DiamondCreek Candles
Make Every Room Smile, or Start Working at Home for FREE

http://www.diamondcreekcandles.com/consultants/uid/dwalstad  

JacobsMommy05
by Member on Nov. 7, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Glad you posted this sticky. I went to the post link and got just what I Needed. I got dry beans from WIC and I have never cooked them before so I needed direction. Got them and they seem easy enough!!

Question: anyone have a simple and cheap recipe for black bean salsa?

JacobsMommy05
by Member on Aug. 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Peanut Butter Dip

• Makes: 1-1/3 cups
Prep: 10 minutes

Peanut Butter Dip
Nutrition Facts

Servings Per Recipe 1-1/3 cups

Ingredients
  • 3/4  cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
  • 1/2  cup reduced-fat peanut butter
  • 1/3  cup raisins
  • 1/2  teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2  apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 3  ribs celery, trimmed and cut into 4-inch sticks
  • 2  cups small pretzels

Directions

In a small serving bowl, stir together yogurt, peanut butter, raisins and cinnamon. Serve with apples, celery and pretzels.

Variations: 1. Omit cinnamon and raisins, and spread onto toast with Nutella; cut into quarters. 2. Sub in caramel yogurt and golden raisins, and spread onto rice cakes; top with sliced bananas.

• Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 43
  • Total Fat (g) 2
  • Cholesterol (mg) 1
  • Sodium (mg) 40
  • Carbohydrate (g) 4
  • Protein (g) 2

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

JacobsMommy05
by Member on Aug. 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Garlic Ketchup

Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes
Cook: 3 minutes

Sweet Potato Fries with Roasted Garlic Ketchup
Nutrition Facts

Servings Per Recipe 4 servings

• Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 203
  • Total Fat (g) 4
  • Saturated Fat (g) 1
  • Sodium (mg) 751
  • Carbohydrate (g) 41
  • Fiber (g) 5
  • Protein (g) 3

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2  pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 3/4  teaspoon salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon black pepper
  • 1  tablespoon olive oil
  • 3  cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2  of a small onion, minced
  • 1/3  cup ketchup

Directions

Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick aluminum foil; set aside.

Place potatoes on baking sheet in a single layer and coat with nonstick cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion in skillet for 3 minutes, then stir in ketchup. Serve with fries.

Variations: 1. Sprinkle with barbecue seasoning blend and serve with ranch dressing. 2. Dust with cinnamon and serve with maple syrup and plain yogurt dipping sauce.

This recipe and the one before are from familycircle.com
mom4aaa
by Member on Oct. 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM

love this will deffinatly be trying some of these my new online recipe book!

mom4aaa
by Member on Oct. 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

BOTH OF THESE LINKS say page cannot be found

Cooking with eggs to stretch your food dollars: http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/spfiles/SP286-L.pdf

Using peanut butter to stretch your food dollars:
http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publications/spfiles/SP286-N.pdf 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN