Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So confused with Medicaid

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 333 Total Views

When I had my first daughter I was 16. My mom has great insurance but it doesn't cover teen pregnancy. So she took care of the medicaid part. With my second baby i was 18, married and it was super easy, i just filled out my application, got a thing 2 weeks later in the mail asking for my income (check stub) and verification of pregnancy. Once i mailed that in and got approved they called me and told me and i started getting my cards in the mail, it took a month tops. This time (im pregnant with my third)i got on the website and they had a place where if you make an account you can apply online. I did that and it has almost been a month and no word. I tried calling but am trying to be patient. I spoke with my doctor and since I have a history of high blood pressure she advised me to call medicaid and see if i can't get it going because i need to be seen. How long is normal? And does anyone elses state let you apply online?

Here is the site btw

www.yourtexasbenefits.com

Pregnancy ticker

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
wingsfan1234
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I'm not sure about Texas but here in Michigan they have to either approve or deny you within 45 days.   I would just call your local office (or the number that you have) and see if you have been approved.  I know I was able to call (or have my dr call) to make sure I was approved even before I got my cards.

Socklobster
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I am in Michigan too, and I am pretty sure, unless they changed it, that if you are pregnant they only have 10 days to approve or deny you. With my first daughter I was approved within 2 weeks. You may want to check into seeing if your state has to expedite your application since you are pregnant. Don't hesitate to call them for the status of your application, you need to start getting your prenatal care!

Medicaid is very confusing and it seems like it's more of a pain than it is worth sometimes, but I am so grateful for it!

*~*Christina*~*

daydreaminmom
by Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Here (in Missouri) you can do most of it by phone and just mail in copies of anything they decide they need proof of. But i'm not a fan of waiting on them to get around to my file so I ALWAYS go in in person when I apply for things. Then they HAVE to deal with my file and I know right away if i'm on or not. When i'm approved they give me a temporary card to use til my plastic one comes in the mail (usually within 14days).

whitneylayne
by on Dec. 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM

I live in Texas, and when I applied I made an appiointment with this lady at the hospital. She was the accounting person I think, and she asked me a few questions about income and all that, then I showed her my proof of pregnancy from the Dr., and then she approved me right there and gave me a print out to show it. Then a couple of weeks later I got my medicaid card in the mail. It was super easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)