Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things that can be purchased with food stamps..if you dont already know...

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM
  • 48 Replies
  • 72643 Total Views
3 moms liked this

Okay, this is a preliminary list, for my home state of FLORIDA, so I dont know if there are exceptional items in your state. This is based off my experience at both walmart and Publix. I know there are some moms who wonder if they can buy this or that, so list it here along with your state to let moms know of those "certain other items" and they wont have to wonder or feel embarassed to find out its not covered...

I have found that I can buy the following foods (add to the list any other foods YOU can buy and where you live)

Prepared sushi trays (we have a sushi counter at our supermarket, Publix)

Bakery custom cakes (not too sure if only a specific size though)

Deli cold foods (I must admit I have yet to test out the "sub" issue...)

For those of you who would say because I choose to buy those things I am abusing my food stamps, I reserve the right to eat anything I choose just as anyone else does...and if it's that big of an issue, then why are YOU in this group? ADD TO THE LIST!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dianne1259
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM

Soda (you don't pay tax)

Fish and shelfish (ie, shrimp and crab - sometimes cheaper than burger and chicken so no bashing please especially when I can get 4 meals for 3-4 from a 2-3 lb bag os Shimp for $4-

Sushi (prepared) we have that too and I love it!

we don't have a size limit on cakes here in PA

IN THE MIDDLE OF DIFFICULTY LIES OPPORTUNITY (ALBERT EINSTEIN)

DIANNE-2.gif picture by chefddr

SparklingHope
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Quoting Dianne1259:

Soda (you don't pay tax)

Fish and shelfish (ie, shrimp and crab - sometimes cheaper than burger and chicken so no bashing please especially when I can get 4 meals for 3-4 from a 2-3 lb bag os Shimp for $4-

Sushi (prepared) we have that too and I love it!

we don't have a size limit on cakes here in PA

Soda is completely covered in the state of Wisconsin.

Um, I know you can't buy energy drinks..i don't really know what else..everything i've been buying has been covered so far.

daydreaminmom
by Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 1:50 AM

I'm in Missouri and we have these too!

Prepared sushi trays (we have a sushi counter at our supermarket, Publix)
We have Ramey's / Price Cutters and they have sushi trays, salads, mexican platters, meat and cheese trays, and they all have "food stamp" stickers on them so you know you can get them! It's awesome!

Bakery custom cakes (not too sure if only a specific size though)
Here I know that WalMart and Dillons both allow them, that's how I get my kids' cakes for their bdays every year.

Deli cold foods (I must admit I have yet to test out the "sub" issue...)
We can get all the lunch meat and the sealed subs we want. Once in the middle of the summer it was SOOO hot that we  just bought TONS of lunch meat, bread and lettuce/tomatoes.

For those of you who would say because I choose to buy those things I am abusing my food stamps, I reserve the right to eat anything I choose just as anyone else does...and if it's that big of an issue, then why are YOU in this group? ADD TO THE LIST!

In our area we're supposed to be able to get plant seeds and veggie plants (for a garden) with food stamps. I'm amazed that you can go to a gas station and get fountain drinks, chips and frozen burritos on F/S!!! That's just wrong!

I wish I could use them at our farmer's markets, oh the freshest is the bestest!
Or at the butcher's for a 1/2 a beef or so, that's a LOT more economical than buying it at the grocery store and so much gentler processed.

daydreaminmom
by Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Quoting SparklingHope:

Soda is completely covered in the state of Wisconsin.
Soda is covered everywhere here, even the dollar store accepts F/S now!

Um, I know you can't buy energy drinks..i don't really know what else..everything i've been buying has been covered so far.
Here energy drinks are a store to store issue. Dillons allows them, WalMart does not. When my dad was in the hospital and we were on the road a lot, those were a lifesaver for us.

MrsFizz007
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM

WOW!!  SO we can get Soda?!?! 

Awesome considering I'm going to the store tonight as I just got my FS card!!  I'm so glad I got my card today considering we have NO meat in the freezer!

Photobucket

moontown64
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2008 at 7:22 AM

you can also go to papa murphy pizza.

MrsFizz007
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 8:56 AM

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wowo I had no idea!

Quoting moontown64:

you can also go to papa murphy pizza.

Photobucket

eternallymom
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

My dd has had no problems at all with any type of food or drink from the grocery store.  The only things that haven't been covered so far were thiings like paper goods (plates, cups) and healthcare stuff like toothpaste and vitamins.  I never knew there was food that WASN'T covered!?!

clearhearts
by on Jan. 10, 2009 at 1:54 AM

I know here in Ky they wouldn't let me buy one of those cooked rotisserie chickens at Kroger.  I was told nothing cooked, but I think they meant nothing hot and cooked.

post_53910_1220509794_med-1.jpg picture by trinity_hearts_trace

McClurgmama2
by Member on Jan. 13, 2009 at 11:13 AM

yes,here in michigsn i cant buy a hot rotisseri chicken but if you go to the prepared food isle and buy it cold you can get it.at meijers you can even get there subs,lasagnas,fried chicken buckets ect aslong as they are not the ones that are hot and just cooked.also i can get any size/style of bakery cake.i usualy let the kids pick out a nice decorated cake for their birthday.also at meijers and im not sure if any where else allows this(i do know our walmart doseNOT allow this)during the holidays christmas,easter,valentines ect you can buy any holiday toys in the holiday candy isle as long as it has even a little piece of candy in it,like the mini build a bears holding a sucker,the giant pez dispencers that come out at easter that are like $20.00 just because they have one little packet of pez they count as candy and are not taxed.sory if you think it is wrong of me to buy this kind of stuff but some times we just have zero cash and i dont want my kids to go with out a gift for the holidays so i do buy this stuff when i have to.also at save a lot and im not sure if it would work any where else(dosnt work at walmart)you can buy the pre made easter baskets,even the ones wuth the big toy sets in them as long as there is a piece of candy in it.and also at our dollar stores they take fs,of course only on food items but they have a big candy isle and a pretty nice food section.ours even has a refridgerated/freezer section where i get the same name brand stuff as the grocery store for half the price.when ever im unsure that it anything i buy will be covered i just make sure to watch it as it scans and if it doesnt have a f by it then i just ask the cashier to take it off.also you can buy baby formula,any brand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)