Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things that can be purchased with food stamps..if you dont already know...

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, this is a preliminary list, for my home state of FLORIDA, so I dont know if there are exceptional items in your state. This is based off my experience at both walmart and Publix. I know there are some moms who wonder if they can buy this or that, so list it here along with your state to let moms know of those "certain other items" and they wont have to wonder or feel embarassed to find out its not covered...

I have found that I can buy the following foods (add to the list any other foods YOU can buy and where you live)

Prepared sushi trays (we have a sushi counter at our supermarket, Publix)

Bakery custom cakes (not too sure if only a specific size though)

Deli cold foods (I must admit I have yet to test out the "sub" issue...)

For those of you who would say because I choose to buy those things I am abusing my food stamps, I reserve the right to eat anything I choose just as anyone else does...and if it's that big of an issue, then why are YOU in this group? ADD TO THE LIST!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
McClurgmama2
by Member on Jan. 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM

we can also buy papa murphys in michigan,you can even buy there spices and parm cheese.

Quoting moontown64:

you can also go to papa murphy pizza.

There are so many groups to get help for our children for christmas and birthdays but what about us hard working moms? Do you have a birthday coming up? Well lets post our wish lists and start the party and give one another a gift. Sound like fun? Well come join.

www.cafemom.com/group/95735

just_glider
by Member on Jan. 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

That is the take and bake pizzas?  I think we just got papa murphy in Az.... I have had one and it was great....

Quoting McClurgmama2:

we can also buy papa murphys in michigan,you can even buy there spices and parm cheese.

Quoting moontown64:

McClurgmama2
by Member on Jan. 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM

yep,the take and bake ones.and the one here in mi gives the kids a free personal pan pizza on halloween when they trick or treat there!

Quoting just_glider:

That is the take and bake pizzas?  I think we just got papa murphy in Az.... I have had one and it was great....

Quoting McClurgmama2:

Quoting moontown64:

Jaimeslove
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2009 at 10:15 AM

In NY I have bought Protein Powder , Slim  Fast and Vitamins on accident - I had it in with the rest of my groceries thinking that i the end there will be 2 totals one for the food and one for the powder, slim fast and vitamins.

But it all went through as food.

How`s my pregnancy doing?
www.Mommysasha.Blogspot.com

Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime
Jaimeslove
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Oh also in NY if you work and have children they will give you the option of having a certain amount set to the side so your child can eat while your at work, and McDonalds excepts foodstamps.

How`s my pregnancy doing?
www.Mommysasha.Blogspot.com

Proud Mommy to two handsome sons Steven & Jaime
arh74
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM

You can also purchase Schwanns foods too!

MBargie
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 2:27 PM

So far the only thing I know we can't get in Kansas that is considered food or drink is beer, not that I would buy that. Everything else I've been able to get.

I'm a 22 year old, pro-choice, natural & C-Section Birthing, circumcising, formula-feeding, vaccine giving, disposable diapering, baptizing, co-sleeping, sometimes CIO, spanking when needed, house cleaning, meal making, laundry doing, bath giving, story telling, smoking, occasional drinking, former teen mother & SAHM of 3 kids ages 3 & under and happily married (before any pregnancies) . I think I've covered all the drama topics.

Mandi111482
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

so far everything that I have purchased has been accepted. I know that here in NY you are not allowed to purchase alchol with your F/S. I dont buy it often but when I do I only do it when we have the extra cash to do it with.

tattoo                  tattoo

Married in 2002              Rebekah-Grace                    Hannah Rose

2004                                  2007

McClurgmama2
by Member on Jan. 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Jaimeslove:

Oh also in NY if you work and have children they will give you the option of having a certain amount set to the side so your child can eat while your at work, and McDonalds excepts foodstamps.

McDonalds the fast food resturaunt? my kids would be in heaven!how did you find out they took fs?that would be very cool,i should call and see about the one in our area.

double2trouble
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Here in ND we can NOT purchase hot rotisserie chicken or prepared salads at the grocery stores, beer, anything that is not food.

We can buy pop, baby formula

I have never tried the cake thing and I never buy alcohol so that is not a problem for me, I try to buy soda pop with cash because I myself feel that is a waste of the money if it is purchased with food stamps.  I would never myself personally use it at McDonald's if it was approved in my state as I feel that is a waste of money because I can make that same food at home for less.  Thank you for the cake idea because now I might try that for the kids birthday's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN