Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things that can be purchased with food stamps..if you dont already know...

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, this is a preliminary list, for my home state of FLORIDA, so I dont know if there are exceptional items in your state. This is based off my experience at both walmart and Publix. I know there are some moms who wonder if they can buy this or that, so list it here along with your state to let moms know of those "certain other items" and they wont have to wonder or feel embarassed to find out its not covered...

I have found that I can buy the following foods (add to the list any other foods YOU can buy and where you live)

Prepared sushi trays (we have a sushi counter at our supermarket, Publix)

Bakery custom cakes (not too sure if only a specific size though)

Deli cold foods (I must admit I have yet to test out the "sub" issue...)

For those of you who would say because I choose to buy those things I am abusing my food stamps, I reserve the right to eat anything I choose just as anyone else does...and if it's that big of an issue, then why are YOU in this group? ADD TO THE LIST!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
complextrina
by Member on Jan. 20, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Quoting double2trouble:

Here in ND we can NOT purchase hot rotisserie chicken or prepared salads at the grocery stores, beer, anything that is not food.

We can buy pop, baby formula

I have never tried the cake thing and I never buy alcohol so that is not a problem for me, I try to buy soda pop with cash because I myself feel that is a waste of the money if it is purchased with food stamps.  I would never myself personally use it at McDonald's if it was approved in my state as I feel that is a waste of money because I can make that same food at home for less.  Thank you for the cake idea because now I might try that for the kids birthday's.

no prepared salad? i havent tried it yet, but was wondering...our deli makes some yummy salads but I never buy them because they are expensive $7...and I dont know if being prepackaged/prepared would make them not covered even though they are cold...

twilliamson24
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

In NY- we can also buy anything cold- that includes deli sandwiches, prepared salads, and sushi trays. And we also don't pay tax bottle tax on sodas either. There are also bakeries here that accept food stamps, so that does include birthday cakes. There are quite a few farmer's markets that take Food Stamps, too.  You can also use your EBT card in just about all except two states.

miszjesster
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I live in florida & I know you can purchase redbull with foodstamps @ walmart (& I believe almost anywhere)..
As far as I know, cvs is the only place that'll accept monster energy on ebt..

Publix subs (as long as they aren't toasted) are accepted & are sooo good!!!

Deli foods are accepted as long as they are cold..
You can buy fried chicken or rotiserie as long as its been cooked & refrigerated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miszjesster
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Oh also the desplayed cold salads are accepted... deli meats & cheese are accepted.. & fruit/veggie trays, meat trays, cheese trays (like the party trays).. those are accepted also.

I'm wondering if convienant store coffee & hot chocolate is accepted?? I know its hot but some stores seem to have their own list of what you can & can't get..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caidengabimommy
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:50 AM

You can buy energy drinks on fs in wisconsin just not at gas stations

priincessz
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I have bought publix subs with food stamps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tami5774
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

i live in Florida and the things you can buy on food stamps would be meats that are not cooked anything from the deli area including subs you can get anything from the bakery basically you can buy anything you want as long as its not hot and as long as its not paper product or anything like that so if its cold and you can eat it or cook it at home you can buy it with f/s also in the seafood department you can get any seafood but if you ask them to heat it there food stamps wont pay for it so again as long as the food is cold f/s will pay for it...

also if you are throwing a party lets say you can order a cake and f/s will pay for it also they will pay for any platters you wanna order as long as its cold so no chicken wing platters and if you have a publix you can order there 4 foot subs and f/s will pay

tami5774
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

i know in Florida you can go to a convenient store and get a hot chocolate and tea and slurpees the only thing i noticed at lets say a 7-11 that you cant get is like the hot dogs and the hot stuff they have buy the registers and also you cant get the nachos and cheese even thou it says the cheese and chili is free

karone04
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:29 AM

If you like to drink tea be careful. This situation might not happen to all people. I have had only one problem when buying a box of tea. I went to buy a box of bedtime tea (can't remember which company made it but it was in the natural food section). It didn't ring up as a food item. Luckily for me they changed it to a food item even though both my mom and I told the cashier we could pay for it with cash. When I don't drink pop I drink tea.

russk
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

can you buy cat food on fs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN