Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things that can be purchased with food stamps..if you dont already know...

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, this is a preliminary list, for my home state of FLORIDA, so I dont know if there are exceptional items in your state. This is based off my experience at both walmart and Publix. I know there are some moms who wonder if they can buy this or that, so list it here along with your state to let moms know of those "certain other items" and they wont have to wonder or feel embarassed to find out its not covered...

I have found that I can buy the following foods (add to the list any other foods YOU can buy and where you live)

Prepared sushi trays (we have a sushi counter at our supermarket, Publix)

Bakery custom cakes (not too sure if only a specific size though)

Deli cold foods (I must admit I have yet to test out the "sub" issue...)

For those of you who would say because I choose to buy those things I am abusing my food stamps, I reserve the right to eat anything I choose just as anyone else does...and if it's that big of an issue, then why are YOU in this group? ADD TO THE LIST!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
karone04
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM

No.

Quoting russk:

can you buy cat food on fs

Electronica_Mom
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been able to buy fresh potted herbs like mint and basil from my grocery stores here in California! And to OP I've bought all of those things too! ;) I've got deli sandwiches made for me and they cover those too. Anything cold from the deli also. I know for a fact that there is no hot food items allowed. 

panda1alp
by New Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I live in ny near watertown and i wonder if you can buy the holiday gift sets with candy in them or coco or the meat ones? I have been out of work sense march due to surgery that didnt go well and 5 surgeries later 8mo out of work 130less b/c i couldnt eat had a feeding tube. single mom and no support i dont have money for xmas so wanted to know if i could buy these for my kids for xmas.at walmart?

here we cant buy the hot chicken, but we can get the salad's anything made that is cole, subway as long as its not hot subs,soda even though we dont drink soda i used to so i know that they do. you can not get beer or wine anything like that has to be food/candy/drinks

panda1alp
by New Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

watertown ny that is

amyasmommy2005
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Um, I know you can't buy energy drinks..i don't really know what else..everything i've been buying has been covered so far.

that sucks we can in new york state

siggyo

amyasmommy2005
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Quoting panda1alp:

I live in ny near watertown and i wonder if you can buy the holiday gift sets with candy in them or coco or the meat ones? I have been out of work sense march due to surgery that didnt go well and 5 surgeries later 8mo out of work 130less b/c i couldnt eat had a feeding tube. single mom and no support i dont have money for xmas so wanted to know if i could buy these for my kids for xmas.at walmart?

here we cant buy the hot chicken, but we can get the salad's anything made that is cole, subway as long as its not hot subs,soda even though we dont drink soda i used to so i know that they do. you can not get beer or wine anything like that has to be food/candy/drinks

i think you canif is all food. i got my daughter a gingerbread house

siggyo

amyasmommy2005
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Quoting Electronica_Mom:

I've been able to buy fresh potted herbs like mint and basil from my grocery stores here in California! And to OP I've bought all of those things too! ;) I've got deli sandwiches made for me and they cover those too. Anything cold from the deli also. I know for a fact that there is no hot food items allowed. 

i know where i live ny we can even get herb seeds on foodstamps

siggyo

CleftieMama
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM

I was a cashier at a grocery store called Save A Lot, and as far as I know, and with my OWN EBT card, the things that you cannot buy include alcohol, tobacco, pet food, paper items, any obvious non food item, energy shots, (in some stores. ) and those big ole popcorn tins you see at christmas time. They dont ring up as food, they ring up as a christmas item. (NO fair! Chirrins like popcorns.)

I know at Dollar General you can get those pretty premade Easter Baskets. Kids need a little fun.

You know you can even purchase vegetable and fruit seeds with EBT, to promote healthy lifestyles and growing your own food>? One seed packet of yellow squash is like, $1, and one PLANT can produce up to 8 pounds (if taken care of correctly) of food in a single summer>>!>!!?!

YEEEEAAAH. I love yella' squash lol. Just sayin.

shopping

workerbee116
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I live in Fl. I agree, there should be no bashing. We moms celebrate our childrens birthdays etc...just like everyone else. We should be able to buy cake, soda, etc...these items are costly so they are rare in my home. I eat healthy. But just saying, my whole grain life style is just as expensive as chips and soft drinks...just better for you. :)

i have found that Publix will allow energy drinks, soda, gatoraid, flavored and vitamin waters. They will allow cakes, all sizes and any bakery item. NO to the deli area where the ready made chicken that is so yummy! But I think Walmart allows it. Walmart also allows bottled water, unflavored. i found that Target is very strict and I am not familiar with what i can buy so i dont shop there for food often, unless it is something i have already purchased and approved. I know once I bought the multi bag of individual snack bags of goldfish (the largest bag possible) and it was denied. I was purchasing these for my sons lunches. What? but I can buy goldfish crackers in the small individual serving boxes...go figure. I buy sushi and seafood at publix and have bought frozen Salmon at walmart. both approved ...to all the haters...i work three jobs to support my family. Its not my fault my kids dad is a dead beat dad and i get no support! Yes I get food stamps. Yes I buy the good cheese at the supermarket. If you look at the nutrition facts on the back of packages, your get what you pay for, better ingredients means you pay more. Not my fault....

workerbee116
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

i have been able to buy those. I stock up when all that stuff goes on sale. but not at target. not included. i have been fine at publix and walmart. yes i use these for gifts too! i dont have the income for presents and sometimes my kids cant go to functions because i feel bad for sending them empty handed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)