• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie Here! Just applied for WIC and MediCAL...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 276 Total Views

Hello ladies,

I'm new to the group and just wanted to say I just applied for WIC today and it was VERY easy. It took about an hour and a half and they gave me my checks the same day.  I know there are alot of people out there who bash public assistance users, but let them ever get into a real position of need and they will be praising this wonderful country of the USA!! 

I recently lost my job due to the economy. I am a college grad who was making 60K a year.  I own my home, paid my taxes since I've been working at age 13, i am now 31. If 18 years of tax paying doesnt qualify me for some darn public assistance then I dont know what does!! This is MY insurance, because once I lost my job, I lost the expensive medical insurance I had also. Cobra insurance was going to be $600 a month with a $6000 deductible.  Thats is ridiculous!!

I am married to a Jamaican national and we went about the LEGAL way of getting him his greencard. I had to pay $$$$ for my husband to live away from me for over a year because the government would not let a person from a "third world" country into the US without a visa....even to visit. He is finally here now and only able to find part time work in this economy. I was the finacial support until i lost my job and our healthcare. I also became pregnant a couple of months after being laid off, and I truly think it was in Gods plan that I did beome pregnant in this circumstance. I now qualify for the programs the state offers to help support me and my family. I have medical insurance and food on the table.

Dealing with living in a underdeveloped country where people have NO government assitance we are truly blessed to have a setup like this. Its a good thing for those who need it and those who pay the taxes for it.  It this type of service was not available we would not be the TOP nation in the world as we are today.

So I just wanted to say thank God and the legislation for these programs.  Its makes our country a much better place.

pregnancy

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sheneka
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I amglad everything is working out  for you.You are socorrect in what you said.May God Bless you.

marhia
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:29 PM

You said it girl, they can bash if they want but that is what the assistance is there for if you need it then use it.

Daynaof3
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM

The company  I worked for went out of business in March of 2006 and I got pregnant with my twin girls in April 2006. I got back on WIC and since I am passionate about breastfeeding I started doing research online about it often. I found out online that WIC has a job for WIC mothers who have breastfed at least 6 months called a breastfeeding peer counselor. I asked about the job and I ended up getting it. Ths is the perfect way  for me to reach my ultimate goal of becoming an IBCLC so it has been a great blessing. If things didn't work out the way they did I wouldn't be doing something I love to do everyday and getting paid to do it. God has a plan for us all and the bad or hard times lend us to the good. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! 

julie148
by Member on Jun. 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM

WELL FOR STARTERS LET ME WELCOME YOU TO THE GROUP.    welcome      GLAD YOU ARE HERE, JUST NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE WAY YOU HAD TO GET HERE.  I PRAY YOUR SITUATION GETS BETTER..................OH, AND congratulationspregnant bellyCONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR HUBBY!!!!!

supermama68
by Member on Jun. 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I'm pregnant too and I automatically got WIC just because I had Medicaid for pregnancy. I think that's the norm for most places. I spent less than an hour at our local WIC office the day I went in and applied simply because all I had to show them was my Medicaid card. Thank goodness!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)