Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attachment parenting

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 295 Total Views
There are a bunch of mom's who are really into this "attachment" parenting- co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby wearing- which I think can be great.
But what's up with mother's who believe in CIO, or god forbid! strollers, get attacked for not treating their child like a humans??
Yes, I've seen it. It drives me mad.

Personally, I would've loved to BF, I HATE FF, but I had to do what i had to do to feed my baby. I also don't believe in co-sleeping b/c i want my son to have a sense of independence. But I will let him sleep with us from time to time, especially if he's having a rough night. I don't let my son CIO...it kills me. But i will let him scream and whine for a little bit, only if i know what NOTHING is wrong- sometimes he gets distracted and is perfectly fine. oh, and as for wearing my son..i can't. I have a really bad back and it hurts all the time. But we do have a carrier and hubby will let him hang out in the baby bjorn on short trips.

So i think I've found what works for me. I just don't get how a mother who makes different choices than another gets bashed for those choices.

www.cafemom.com/group/bestforbaby

by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Haydensmom326
by on Jan. 31, 2008 at 5:47 AM
I often wondered if AP mothers are suffering from Postpartum, and this is a way for them not to get help. I mean to breastfeed, carry allday, and then sleep with them at night, that makes me think a little.. JMO

Granted yes I used to carry Hayden in a sling and it killed me but that was the only way I could get her to stop crying.  
SEXMONKEYMAGIC
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Haydensmom326:

I often wondered if AP mothers are suffering from Postpartum, and this is a way for them not to get help. I mean to breastfeed, carry allday, and then sleep with them at night, that makes me think a little.. JMO

Granted yes I used to carry Hayden in a sling and it killed me but that was the only way I could get her to stop crying.  

i don't think that's the case. I believe there is a new idea out there, that a child needs to feel as close to a parent as possible.
personally, i believe that a child should also be taught to be independent.
Masonyastesmom
by on Jan. 31, 2008 at 10:19 PM
I agree...I can't understand this attachment parenting business....I tried and it just doesn't feel right to me....
CorbinsMommy225
by on Feb. 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM
yeah, i definitely think you gotta just follow your instinct and do what's right for you and your child. i have been BFing for almost a year now, but i'm not one of those crazy "lactavists". i also wore my baby when it was better than the stroller, but he has always loved the stroller! so guess what... i use it! and sometimes he falls asleep in it when we go for walks and i just leave him on the back porch to sleep. haha. i also put him to bed in his crib in his own room but if he wakes at night, i am too lazy to stay up and put him back to bed, so i just bring him in bed with us and he goes back to sleep.

i guess i am a mixture. but i just do what is right for us. and it works.
beechan84
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2008 at 4:46 AM
I'm a baby wearing, co sleeping, breastfeeding momma. Of course I think I'm not one of those judgemental ones because I have to carry my baby around because she has eczema and scratches her face off when I don't pick her up. (if I put socks on her hands she rubs her face off) She isn't totally clingy though. She has her quiet time in her crib. She likes crawling around on the floor. (well the areas that I had to steam clean) She co sleeps since we live in a one bedroom apt and I figure it's easier for me to BF and catch some zzz while she eats. It's all really up to the parent. Whatever makes you feel better, and the baby of course. It doesn't really matter what "style" of parenting you choose because your baby will love you regardless.

Babie4ka
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM

I read about this attachment parenting i would never want to cosleep... that freaks me out... i would not be able to sleep knowing i could roll over in my sleep and g-d forbid have something happen to him,,, why take the risk... not to mention having a sex life with hubby would be impossible.. i have some friends that have a 2 year old and only now trying to get her to sleep in her own bed, at which point she doesnt want to because she always co slept... and its been a big problem for the parents!

Babie4ka
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2008 at 7:43 AM

What happened to my reply?

Quoting SEXMONKEYMAGIC:

There are a bunch of mom's who are really into this "attachment" parenting- co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby wearing- which I think can be great.
But what's up with mother's who believe in CIO, or god forbid! strollers, get attacked for not treating their child like a humans??
Yes, I've seen it. It drives me mad.

Personally, I would've loved to BF, I HATE FF, but I had to do what i had to do to feed my baby. I also don't believe in co-sleeping b/c i want my son to have a sense of independence. But I will let him sleep with us from time to time, especially if he's having a rough night. I don't let my son CIO...it kills me. But i will let him scream and whine for a little bit, only if i know what NOTHING is wrong- sometimes he gets distracted and is perfectly fine. oh, and as for wearing my son..i can't. I have a really bad back and it hurts all the time. But we do have a carrier and hubby will let him hang out in the baby bjorn on short trips.

So i think I've found what works for me. I just don't get how a mother who makes different choices than another gets bashed for those choices.

maddysmom430
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2008 at 10:00 PM
I am new to this whole concept but I guess it's the best way to describe my style of parenting. You carry your child for 40 weeks and sometimes more (smile), sleeping, eating, breathing with them day in and day out; allowing them to be on their own has got to be traumatizing to both Mom and Child. I have exclusively breastfed and I plan to for the next year or so (my daughter is 3 months old). Co-sleeping is something my child's father isn't really into but since I am a BF mom, I normally get to keep her in bed. I don't have any worries about rolling over on her, I did at first but that subsided. I try my hardest to not allow her to cry and/or feel alone. It makes me feel better knowing that almost all of her needs and wants are met. She is my child and having her feel neglected would hurt me more than it probably hurt her. I'm glad more people are recognizing this form of parenting and adapting to it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)