Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Recipes ***UPDATE***New recipes...Healthy twist on old favorites!!

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2007 at 11:30 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 540 Total Views

Getting board with food is the biggest cause of diets failing so I want us to share recipes with each other to keep the meals from boring us.

Post you healthy recipes here! Recipes that can be used for the whole family would be great but you can post any on here.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

I WANT THE BEST FOR MY BABY SO I BREASTFEED!owner-Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (other than for medical reasons)

by on Dec. 7, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Dec. 9, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Turkey Fajitas

Ingrediants:
 -Citrus Chapoltla Marinated Turkey strips (I buy them from Wal-Mart but I can't remember the brand name)
-1 green bell pepper, sliced
-1/2 a large yellow onion, sliced
-1 package wheat tortilla
-1 large can fat free re-fried beans
-Tin Foil

Optional Toppings:

-low fat/fat free cheddar cheese
-sliced avocados
-light/fat free sour cream
-Diced tomatoes
-Shredded lettuce
-salsa (I like it with hot salsa but buy whatever your family likes)

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. While the oven in heating combine turkey, bell pepper, and onion in a large skillet and place on the stove over medium high heat until meat is cooked through and veggies are tender. Mean while wrap tortillas in tin foil and place them in the oven. Then in a medium sauce pan warm the re-fried beans over medium heat until hot. Cover until ready to serve.

To Serve

We serve it family style. I put the whole skillet on the table. I put the hot beans in a serving dish and the tortillas in a tortilla warmer. I also put all the prepared toppings on the table and everyone helps them self.

This recipe makes about 4 adult servings so double it or triple it if need be. My whole family loves it. My siblings didn't even know it was turkey until I told them!

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Dec. 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM
Turkey Burgers and Sweet potato fries

Ingredients:
2 lbs Ground turkey
2 TBL Sp South Beach Diet steak sauce
Ms. Dash Steak Seasoning (it's salt free!)
1 Large tomato sliced
1/2 head of lettuce, pulled into slices
1/2 an onion, sliced (whatever color your family likes)
Low fat/fat free sliced cheese
Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
4 large sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into wedges
4 TBLSP of fat free Italian dressing

Directions:
In a large bowl combine ground turkey, steak sauce, and seasoning. (season to your family's liking) Mix Well. Form into about 4 ounce patties. Though them on the grill until cook through. Mean while place sweet potatoes wedges in another large bowl. Drizzle Italian dressing over potatoes. With your hands toss the potatoes in the bowl until potatoes are lightly coated with the dressing. Place on a large cookie sheet and bake on 425 until potatoes are tender.

To Serve:
I put all the toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, pickles or whatever you like) on a platter. I put all the burgers on a separate platter. Put all the condiments on the table and let everyone serve them self!

This recipe make 8 servings.

Jamie_Lynn_G
by Member on Dec. 10, 2007 at 9:25 PM
Rosmary-lemon chicken breast w/ gravy

2 Boneless, skinless chicken breast
1TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP butter
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
pepper to taste
1 lemon
2 c low-fat & low-sodium chicken broth

Sprinkle chicken breast with pepper, saute in olive oil & butter till almost done. Add rosemary & squeeze lemon juice on chicken, place slices of lemon on top, pour in 1/2 c chicken broth. Reduce heat and cover, simmer till done. Remove chicken & pour remaining broth into pan, scraping up the 'brown bits' on the bottom. Increase heat until almost boiling and cook, stirring frequently, till thickened.

*Make sure you use low-sodium broth, otherwise the gravy comes out really salty tasting.

Jamie

Deacon 10-9-01   Gryffin 4-16-04   ^angel baby^ 11-26-05    Mason 8-24-06

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Jan. 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Grilled Chicken and Spinach Sandwich

4 boneless skinless chicken breast (about 4 oz)
4 whole wheat buns or 8 slices whole wheat bread
4 slices of low fat/ fat free American cheese

2 to 3 cups of fresh spinach
1 medium tomato, sliced
8 TBSP of Fat Free Miracle Whip (or any other fat free condiment)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Pepper

Directions

Sprinkle chicken with garlic and pepper. Grill chicken until it's cooked through. Toast bread in toast or on electric griddle.

To Serve

Put chicken on the bottom slice of bread. Top with cheese, spinach, and tomato slices. Smear 2 TBSP of Miracle Whip on the top piece of bread and place it on top of the sandwich. Cut down the middle and serve with carrot sticks or apple slices!

Makes 4 servings

Less than 9 grams of fat

married best friend

I WANT THE BEST FOR MY BABY SO I BREASTFEED!owner-Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (other than for medical reasons)

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Jan. 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM
Chicken and Veggie Pasta

2 Skinless boneless chicken breast
8 oz whole wheat pasta
2 cups of frozen mixed veggies
1 cups frozen spinach
2 15 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
2 TBSP of olive oil

Cook pasta according to package. Grill chicken (or pan "fry" with fat free cooking spray) until cooked through, let cool and dice. Cook veggies according to package. In a medium size boil combine tomatoes and oil. Heat in microwave until hot. Mix EVERYTHING together and serve.

Makes 4 servings

Less than 15 grams of fat

married best friend

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Jan. 24, 2008 at 10:58 PM
Low fat Taco's

1 pound Extra lean ground turkey or beef
1 package taco seasoning
4 oz low fat/fat free cheese (we use cheddar or Monterrey jack)
1 can fat free re-fried beans
2 cups of ice berg lettuce
1 large tomato
1/2 cup diced onion (whatever kind you like)
4 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup salsa
8 TBSP of low fat/ fat free sour cream

Brown meat in a medium size skillet. After cooked through, place meat in a colander to drain any excess fat. Rinse pan and dry with towel. Return meat to pan over medium heat. Add taco seasoning and package recommended amount of water. Cook according to seasoning package. Meanwhile shred cheese, dice tomato, dice onions and  chop lettuce. Warm tortillas in the microwave or on an electric griddle. Warm re-fried beans in a small pot. Top tortillas with meat, cheese, and veggies. Serve sour cream and salsa on the side. Serve re-fried beans on the side.

Serves 4

Less than 10 grams of fat

married best friend

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Mar. 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM
Fat Free Cabbage

Ingredients:
-Half a head of green cabbage
-Pam for baking cooking spray
-Mrs.Dash (or whatever seasoning you like)

Directions:

Spray the bottom of a large pot with the Pam. Put heat on medium high. Cut head of cabbage in half and remove center. Chop cabbage and add to pan. Cover with lid and stir every 3-4 minutes until tender. Season with Mrs. Dash or whatever seasoning you like.

***Using the Pam for baking give the cabbage a nice flavor because it has the butter flavor in it.

Serving Suggestion:
We have it with baked or grilled fish and brown rice.

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Mar. 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Better For You French Toast

Ingredients:
-Whole grain wheat bread, slices
-2 egg whites
-Pam Cooking Spray
-Light Maple syrup, Optional

Directions:

Scramble egg whites in a small bowl. Slice bread in half vertically and dip both sides in the egg whites until they are soaked through. Spray a medium skillet with Pam and place on stove over medium high heat. Place soaked bread in the pan and cook. Flip the bread occasionally until egg whites are completely cooked. If desired drizzle 2 TB spoons of LIGHT maple syrup over it.

Serving size:
4 half slices.

Serving Suggestions:

Serve with sliced strawberries.

miasmommy21407
by Group Owner on Mar. 26, 2008 at 8:12 PM
Lighter Meat Loaf

Ingredients:
-
1 pound of lean turkey or lean ground beef
-1 package Fat Free Saltine crackers
-2 egg whites
-1 8oz can of tomato sauce
-2TB spoons of South Beach Diet Steak Sauce
-Mrs. Dash seasoning of your choice

Directions:

Pre Heat oven to 350 degrees. Crush crackers large crumbs. Then in a large bowl combine meat, cracker crumbs, eggs, steak sauce, and seasoning. Use clean or gloved hands to mix the meat. Scoop meat mixture into a medium size baking dish and smooth out the top with a spoon. Pour the tomato sauce over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes or until meat is cooked through.

Serving Suggestion:

Serve with steamed broccoli and roasted red potatoes.

My family loved to eat it with ketchup.

blakensara
by on Jun. 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM
Here is the link to kraftfoods healthy recipes.  Most are inexpensive and easy to make.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/HealthyLiving/Recipes/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)