Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My story...

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:54 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 479 Total Views

You wrote on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Hi! I am fairly new to Cafe Mom. I lost my mother in July to Lung Cancer. She smoked for a long time but quit right after my son was born in 2001. She had not been feeling good for several months when I convinced her to go back to the doctor. She had gone to see her regular doctor probably 6 or 8 times in a 4 month period. All he did was change her dosage of her medication, plavix or her blood pressure med's. HE NEVER RAN ANY TESTS!! I went with her In Sept 2005 and there again, he said he was concerned about her bruising, and wanted to take her off the Plavix for a little while. I told him that she couldn't be by herself! She couldn't walk in a straight line, and she could barely stay awake! I told him that I wanted him to DO HIS JOB, AND RUN SOME TESTS! He asked her to get up and walk, and she just fell over! He said, well maybe we do need to run some tests. He sent us over to the hospital, and her sodium was so low, the doctor there didn't know how she was even consious.So, they did an MRI and the next day, the doctor told us that the saw some spots on her brain. She said it looked like a cancer that had spread from somewhere else in her body. They did a CAT scan, and found a 7cm mass in her right lung. By this time....it was too late. She started immediatly on radiation, and felt better than she had in years. She had so much energy!  In December right before christmas she started on Chemo. The radiation worked so well, the tumor was pretty much gone in her chest. After the 1 round of chemo, they found a 3 cm mass in her cerebellum. We knew that the fight was almost over....She held on and fought for 10 months. She died July 10, 2006  She was 62. I miss her so much. I felt like my whole world turned upside down. I am 33 years old, and until the day she died, there has never been a day that went by, that I didn't talk to her. I have a couple of friends who have lost their fathers, and I know they mean well, but it just isn't the same...I love my father with all my heart, but to lose your mother is devistating. I know time will heal my heart, but for right now, it is still broken.  Thank you all for listening...sometimes it just helps to tell your story.

by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Irksmom
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 4:01 PM
First of all....big hugs to you!  I also lost my mom to cancer. She died when she was 44 and I was 21.  I miss her terribly and I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but we all need our moms.  The tears will ease and you will have days when you remember her and laugh, not just cry.  You will always miss her and for that you will become an awesome mother yourself.  I think losing our mothers makes us more aware of our very important roles in our children's lives.  Take care and remember we are always here if you need to talk.
jamers74
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM
I know i am young, but I have lived with out my mother now for almost 13 years. It gets easier as time goes by, but i can tell you this much your will never forget her. My mother died from a heart attack when she was 39 and she is missed every day more and more.
Faith123
by on Apr. 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM
I couldn't help but read your story ... and, again, my offer stands: you can "use" my mother any time you need to -- and ME, too!  We girls have to stick together ....

You have been so stoic through all of this ... I don't know if I could have been as strong as you've been.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)