Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Happy 100th Birthday to an Extraordinary Woman

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 179 Total Views

This in not a post about my mother. It's about my Grandmother, Mary Cecilia Stratton, Nanny to me. Today is her 100th birthday and even though she is no longer with us, she passed away in 1994, she is always in my thoughts and the person I try to model myself after.

She was an extraordinary woman, and the best grandmother that anyone could wish for. She taught me how important family is. She took care of my two sisters and I for a year when my parents divorced. Her first concern was always for us and she made a difficult time in our lives become one of the best years in my childhood. She played with us, taught us to doodle cartoon animals and fold paper hats out of newspapers. She walked us to and from school every day. Always had hot soup and sandwiches waiting on the table for lunch. No matter who's birthday it was, every grandchild received a gift. She made snack bags for us to take for the long ride home after a visit. They would usually contain a toy that she had saved from the cereal boxes. There are so many of these "little things" that she did for us, but that would take a novel to write them all. Most importantly she loved us in a way that only she could, beautifully and with her whole heart. I hope that I can be just half the amazing grandmother that she was.

This is my Nanny holding my DS at her 50th wedding anniversary. My Poppy is next to her and behind her is my DD and my nephew.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LuvMyBellaGirl
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:33 PM

What a loving tribute to your grandmother!  I never had a grandmother I was close to, so consider yourself blessed.  It sounds like she was positively wonderful!

ferrisdaval
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Thank you so much. I definitely consider myself blessed to have had such a wonderful grandmother, and my grandfather was just as wonderful as she was. They both meant the world to me.

Quoting LuvMyBellaGirl:

What a loving tribute to your grandmother!  I never had a grandmother I was close to, so consider yourself blessed.  It sounds like she was positively wonderful!

LuvMyBellaGirl
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Keep writing!  The love flows straight through your post, and I know you must miss your grandparents terribly.  Still, they are watching over you now.  I believe that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)