Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autumn IS Fun... Share Your Traditions and Ideas for Fall Here

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:50 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 544 Total Views

Hi Ladies,

I know many/most of us choose not to celebrate Halloween or have chosen alternate ways to look at the holiday.

However, Autumn is about more than Halloween and there are many fun ways to celebrate and enjoy the season as a family.

Let's use this post to get the ball rolling... if you have a fun Fall Tradition or Family Fun Idea, share it here!

by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Pumpkin Patch Visit:

We LOVE visiting our local Pumpkin Patch and Apple Cider Mills. We try to attend at least one fall festival held at these "destination spots." We watch Apple Cider Making, enjoy a corn maze, pick pumpkins, eat Apple Cider Donuts, and have a great time.

When we return home, we carve our Large pumpkin and roast the seeds. (We have a few small pumpkins too, and Emily painted them last year). Last year's pumpkin was carved with a Horn of Plenty and "Give Thanks" (I'm trying to locate the picture).

We also read "The Pumpkin Patch Parable" by Liz Curtis Higgs. If you haven't discovered her seasonal parable series for young children, it is WONDERFUL. I will review it in another post... but it is worth reading (our library carries all of her books, but I wound up purchasing these because they were so good).

PurplePen
by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Fall is my favorite time of year!  I absolutely love it and I can't wait!!!!

We always attend our local pumpkin patch.  It's become a family tradition - I think last year we had 16 people in our family come with us!  :)  Soooo fun!

We also carve pumpkins and roast the seeds.  I make lots of pumpkin bread and apple pie.  And, we love The Pumpkin Patch Parable book also!!! 

I am looking forward to hearing other's ideas as I just love this time of year!

"It's not who you knew, and it's not what you did, it's how you live."

"Make peace with God and make peace with yourself, cuz in the end there's nobody else."

faithwlkr
by Member on Aug. 20, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Hi ladies,  I've been out of commission for a while, but I thought I would just jump right back in. :)

I love fall!  It's my favorite season.  I'm definitely going to have to check out those parable series by Higgs.  I have never heard of them. 

We have lived in a new subdivision since having kids so in the fall we would have like 3 leaves in our yard, but now we live on 23 acres with trees everywhere and I can't wait to have the biggest leave pile to jump in with the kids!  :)

PurplePen
by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Oh yeah, the leaves!  I almost forgot.  :)  Last year I took the kiddos to a local park with huge trees and TONS of leaves.  We brought a rake and made a huge pile for the kids to jump in!  I love those leaves pictures, too.  So cute.

"It's not who you knew, and it's not what you did, it's how you live."

"Make peace with God and make peace with yourself, cuz in the end there's nobody else."

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM

We love to Roast Pumpkin Seeds!

How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds

1. Rinse pumpkin seeds under cold water and pick out the pulp and strings. (This is easiest just after you've removed the seeds from the pumpkin, before the pulp has dried.)
  2. Place the pumpkin seeds in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet, stirring to coat. If you prefer, omit the oil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. Sprinkle with salt and bake at 325 degrees F until toasted, about 25 minutes, checking and stirring after 10 minutes.

Let cool and store in an airtight container.

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I also love Mulled Cider!

Mulled Apple Cider Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 quart fresh cider
  • 1 large cinnamon stick
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • Sprinkle clove powder
  • 3 grates fresh nutmeg

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to simmer. Strain and serve.

Wildmom315
by Group Admin on Oct. 5, 2008 at 10:32 PM

We go to a local pumpkin patch that has special wagon rides that are shaped just like pumpkins and they even have ones that are decorated like Cinderella's carriage...of course Morgan makes us wait for that one!  LOL! 

Amanda Wildman
Independent Consultant

www.thelegacyoffamily.com
Click HERE to get my FREE monthly Tradition eNewsletter

Group Owner: Michigan Business Moms Network
Group Admin: Christian Celebrations
Group Admin: Party Plan Biz Connection

TERRYMEAGLEY
by Member on Oct. 6, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Wow Fall to me is so colorful what with the leaves changing and all it is so peaceful and warming to me.  I love to get in the car as a family and drive through the mountain roads, and just look at the scenery.  Beautiful just beautiful God is the best artist we could ask for.   I love to share the things that make me think of just how magnificience God is.  Gave me a lift today just thinking about it... Thanks ladies.

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 15, 2008 at 9:33 PM

We spent today playing in leaves, making rubbings, and looking at colors... I love Autumn!

Any other fun ideas?

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM

This weekend we enjoyed a bon fire, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows and eating outside with the family. It's great in the autumn... weather is cool but comfy, and it's dark earlier!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)