Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autumn IS Fun... Share Your Traditions and Ideas for Fall Here

Hi Ladies,

I know many/most of us choose not to celebrate Halloween or have chosen alternate ways to look at the holiday.

However, Autumn is about more than Halloween and there are many fun ways to celebrate and enjoy the season as a family.

Let's use this post to get the ball rolling... if you have a fun Fall Tradition or Family Fun Idea, share it here!

by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:50 AM
Replies (11-16):
momoflilangel
by Member on Oct. 21, 2008 at 9:40 AM

I wish we could have a bom fire to enjoy the weather but we live in too much of a neighborhood. And as far as the leave thing goes ours don't change much b/c I live in FL. Grrrr....

But our daughter is almost 2 this year so it will be our first year to start a tradition to where she can participate. We are going to go to the local pumpkin patch as others have mentioned and let Kiera (our daughter) pick out her own pumpkin and we'll take lots of pictures of the event. Then we will go home and let her help us clean out the pumpkin and roast the seeds. That is all that I have thought about so far.

I do have a question for you ladies. What can I do w/ the pumpkin mess (the inside) instead of throwing it away? I am going to roast the seeds but what about the rest? I have heard to make things w/ it like pumpkin bread and such but I don't know how. LOL I have only used can pumpkin before. Thank you for your help!

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 21, 2008 at 10:58 AM

This link has many Fresh Pumpkin recipes. My mother used to make pie with real pumpkin (every Thanksgiving)... but it was SOOOOOOOOOO disgusting NO ONE EVER ate it and everyone ALWAYS made sillly/polite excuses about being too full (while they dished up more pecan pie). It was HORRIBLE!!!!!

However, I love the Pumpkin Breads and Muffins w/real pumpkin.

Quoting momoflilangel:

I wish we could have a bom fire to enjoy the weather but we live in too much of a neighborhood. And as far as the leave thing goes ours don't change much b/c I live in FL. Grrrr....

But our daughter is almost 2 this year so it will be our first year to start a tradition to where she can participate. We are going to go to the local pumpkin patch as others have mentioned and let Kiera (our daughter) pick out her own pumpkin and we'll take lots of pictures of the event. Then we will go home and let her help us clean out the pumpkin and roast the seeds. That is all that I have thought about so far.

I do have a question for you ladies. What can I do w/ the pumpkin mess (the inside) instead of throwing it away? I am going to roast the seeds but what about the rest? I have heard to make things w/ it like pumpkin bread and such but I don't know how. LOL I have only used can pumpkin before. Thank you for your help!

Happ-eToBme
by on Oct. 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM

We like to go to a petting Zoo that is only open in October.

Our kids are small 2yr.s 8months old, and 8 months old so I don't really see the point in Pumpkin Picking because neither one really cares. lol

But on the way out of the Petting Zoo they give us a pumpkin each, we get to pick it out. So we still get one, and the kids get to touch and see animals they wouldn't normally. They learnabout how to touch, care for, and facts about animals from cow to llama. So it's a great learning experiance.

Our son loves this place we have been there two times, once this yr and once last yr when he was 1 yr and 8 months old and I was pregnant with our little girl.

On Oct31st  we go to our church's Autemn Fest, where the kids get to have their face painted, get candy, bob for apples, go on a hey ride and other fun activities, and when it gets later they show a movie in the great auditorium. This yr they will be showing Veggie Tales the Pirates That Don't Do Anything, kids don't have to go dressed up but if they do is fine too as long as it's nothing that's out of line  (like "sexy" nurse,"sexy" fire fighter, "sexy" police officer, etc...) or nothing gory.

We also make a "Thanks Giving Day Dinner Box", which is an uncooked dinner  and all the trimings, in a box for a needy family.

I make lanterns out of the pumpkins for center pieces at the dinner table for Thanks Giving.

We make a "Friends" Thanks Giving dinner the Sat before Thanks Giving (this yr it's the 22nd of Nov.) and we invite our close friends most of whom are not christian and we (my husband and I) pray and give God the glory for our life, our health, our marriage, our children and let it be known that in our heart every day is Thanks Giving Day but that we thank Him for letting us get together with our friends to praise His name.

So it's really a way to minister to friends.

Then 5 days later we have Thanks Giving with my family (which means more cooking for me, since I cook the majority for the fam TG dinner and all of the food for the Friend TG dinner.

Then I am done until Christmas...lol! Recouping!

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 22, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I love your heart for ministry and reminding us all of simple and effective ways we can minister to others. Thank you for posting!

Quoting Happ-eToBme:

We like to go to a petting Zoo that is only open in October.

Our kids are small 2yr.s 8months old, and 8 months old so I don't really see the point in Pumpkin Picking because neither one really cares. lol

But on the way out of the Petting Zoo they give us a pumpkin each, we get to pick it out. So we still get one, and the kids get to touch and see animals they wouldn't normally. They learnabout how to touch, care for, and facts about animals from cow to llama. So it's a great learning experiance.

Our son loves this place we have been there two times, once this yr and once last yr when he was 1 yr and 8 months old and I was pregnant with our little girl.

On Oct31st  we go to our church's Autemn Fest, where the kids get to have their face painted, get candy, bob for apples, go on a hey ride and other fun activities, and when it gets later they show a movie in the great auditorium. This yr they will be showing Veggie Tales the Pirates That Don't Do Anything, kids don't have to go dressed up but if they do is fine too as long as it's nothing that's out of line  (like "sexy" nurse,"sexy" fire fighter, "sexy" police officer, etc...) or nothing gory.

We also make a "Thanks Giving Day Dinner Box", which is an uncooked dinner  and all the trimings, in a box for a needy family.

I make lanterns out of the pumpkins for center pieces at the dinner table for Thanks Giving.

We make a "Friends" Thanks Giving dinner the Sat before Thanks Giving (this yr it's the 22nd of Nov.) and we invite our close friends most of whom are not christian and we (my husband and I) pray and give God the glory for our life, our health, our marriage, our children and let it be known that in our heart every day is Thanks Giving Day but that we thank Him for letting us get together with our friends to praise His name.

So it's really a way to minister to friends.

Then 5 days later we have Thanks Giving with my family (which means more cooking for me, since I cook the majority for the fam TG dinner and all of the food for the Friend TG dinner.

Then I am done until Christmas...lol! Recouping!

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Oct. 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM

BUMP

Click to join our group: Christian Celebrations

iluvcallalilies
by Group Owner on Sep. 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Any new ideas this year?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN