Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you guys handle the easter bunny thing?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 497 Total Views

I was wondering how you guys handled the whole easter bunny thing.  We chose that we are not going to do the whole santa thing, that Jesus is the reason for the season and that the presents are from Dad and Mom.  We still take pics with santa though, i know strange, lol.  We are also going to take pics with the easter bunny, but i don't think we are going to tell him the easter bunny is real.  I think we are going to do the same thing as santa.  Tell him the truth that the easter basket is from Dad and Mom.  So how do all of you do with the easter bunny?

Pregnancy ticker

by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
humblet
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Well, we haven't had to deal with it yet, actually, (our baby isn't due until the end of July...) but hubby and I have talked about it before.  I think we're going to take a similar approach as you are.  We want to make sure that our kids know what we are really celebrating and why!  And most definitely we believe that our focus should be on Jesus, and not all the presents and candy :)  So I think we'll probably still do the easter basket (from mom & dad, not easter bunny)& egg hunts, but try to do more activities that focus on what we're really celebrating :)

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

We do an Easter basket but it is from us, not the Easter bunny.  I do not feel comfortable lying to my son so we do not do lepricons, Easter bunny, Santa, etc.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 

For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

mommybearthree
by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

My girls 5 & 3 know that great grandma hides eggs and then they get to eat them, easter baskets are too expensive for us so they just get a little something that they pick out. They know Santa's not real and think of him as they do Dora or Mickey Mouse, somebody pretending to be a character. We did a birthday cake for Jesus last Christmas and I haven't quite figured out what special thing we're going to do for Jesus for Easter yet.

beccasmum
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM

You know...I may be the bad guy with everyone but, here it goes!                                                   My daughter knows that Christmas is Jesus & that Easter is Jesus.  She will actually tell people that Jesus is the reason, she does it all of the time.  She has made Jesus #1 in her heart & she is not afraid to say it & she is 9.  In our family we go to church on those holidays before anything else & Jesus comes first in our house as well but, we have still always done Santa & the Easter Bunny as well.  It isn't lying to them like some people have said...it is fun & it is letting them be kids!!  We have always done a few gifts from Santa & the Bunny hides the eggs but, church comes first & she knows the difference because that is what we have taught her.  You can't do what others do, you have to choose as a family to do what is right for yours.  If you teach them that the Santa part of Christmas is just for fun & teach them about Christ then that is what will be in their hearts.  We don't focus on the material part of Christmas & like I said Jesus is first in our home.  Good luck deciding what is right for your family!

kite

beccasmum
Mommyof3yippey
by on Mar. 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM

in order to prevent later rebellion later in life if I hold my kids back from everything...(My mom would not allow me to do MANY things... so I know from experience)..... We first teach the kids the TRUE meaning of each holiday......We make sure to appreciate the ORIGINAL source of the Joy of easter which is JESUS dying on the cross for us and of course coming back!!....but we also say that Easter also means it spring time...we do all the easter bunny and egg things....I do not think anything is wrong with a little kid fun.....in my opinion if you make it all strict and not too fun...they might feel trapped and like they didn't get to do some fun kids things......

We do the easter basket....... it represents the gift Jesus gave us ...HIS LIFE and our Salvation... Instead of a Chocolate bunny we put in the basket a Chocolate cross and put in a few Jesus themed things and also throw in a few wind up chicks or whatever we find.....

If they enjoy the holiday they will also enjoy and distinguish between the fun part and the REAL part of it.... ( Jesus)

We also do the egg thing that tells the story of the Ressurection and has little surprises in it...I think it's called Ressurection Eggs..... Jesus is fun!!!

Also My kids think santa is Real...they are told that Santa knows Jesus (they are friends) and we get presents just like baby Jesus did....... I know one day they might learn the truth...but they are only little once...I dont think God would oppose???

bettylou420
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 11:35 AM

i have three kids.(4,2,7mnths) noah is almost 5 so he understands more than the girls. we always talk about jesus and i explain to him that other kids believe in imaginary things because its fun but it makes it easy to forget jesus. he never asks why other kids get things from santa or the easter bunny. to him jesus is way better than pretend! i worry that he might make his friends upset sometimes. at playgroup last week we were talking about easter when noah said "the easter bunny is not coming" the leader(not a christain) just said sure he is and none of the kids even cared.then when he was asked what part of easter is his favorite he said "jesus... because he died on the cross for us." who needs some pretend "friend" bringing us gift at the holidays? God is all my kids need to be happy! maybe the world needs to see more of us willing to let go of the fantasy for what we believe is real! i hope you find what is right for your family! betty lou.

MandyP27
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Exactly the same as you! We tell them presents and baskets are from us. We tell them Santa and the Easter bunny are pretend like their cartoon friends but if they want we let them sit on Santa's lap for a candy cane!

notwmommy
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM

will for us it came easy... we this last CHRISTmas delt with the question is santa jesus dressed up,,, my husband was very up set and said NO jesus is jesus..

so we decided to tell them about the story behind st nick.. and how celebrating and being around family and friends and shareing the joy that the LORD has blessed us with and how important it was to NOT forget that it is a day to rejoice our KING and no one else... 

they were ok w/ it ... we do suprise stockgs and just a couple gifts for each other but we do a birthdat party instead, they kids totaly dug it... so at that time we explained how parents like to do fun things with there kiddos on holidays BUT that there really HOLLY days and that these two days so so important to believes to stay focused on the lord and not the world, they laughed and said ya cuzzz bunnies hv babies not eggs... we just felt that there comes a time when we hv to keep it real with our kids. what would the lord say that we made a mockery of the birth and resrrctn of our savior.... its import to injoy our kids and hv fun with them but in a way the LORD would be proud....

we still do CHRISTmas cookies, candies, cakes u name it, we just do it as a way to spread our love to those we love...

for easter we buy them a thought ful little gift and we put out candy in the center of dinng rm table but its filled chocolates that r shaped like cross' and other sweets... we color eggs because its funnnnn ,  we do egg hunts because ittt sss funn but we do egg hunts all yr long they love it...

hope it helps....

IndyMommyofFour
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:54 AM

In our house we do not do Santa or the Easter bunny or halloween. I wanted our kids to be able to do things like egg hunts so what we do is festivals. We celebrate the first day of each season. So on the first day of spring we have the egg hunt. Since everything that people do on Easter have to do with spring its perfect for it. We decorate and have a spring meal but we do not use anything that has Easter written on it.With it done that way on the day of ressurection we can focus on the importance of the holiday and the kids dont feel like they missed out.For Winter festival we the kids open their gifts and do everything that is done on Christmas we dont have any santa stuff, On Christmas we focus on Jesus and the importance of the holiday instead of what they got that year. On summer festival we just grill and invite people over to celebrate and this year we are going to start camping out in the yard. For fall we have a big meal and we pick veggies from the garden to eat, we always find something special to do. We dont celebrate halloween so on that day the kids have a treasure map to follow and what they find when they are done is a bag of toys and candy.

We love doing it this way, its more things to celbrate and do with our children and we will always celebrate it like this even when they are older and hopefully they can do the same

mna_823
by Member on Feb. 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM

we do baskets from mommy and daddy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)