Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoping to show Buck

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:31 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

Hi, I am new to this group. I just got my Alaskan Malamute, Buck on Tuesday. We have been looking for a little while and we decided we were ready and ta-da here he is.

Long story short I am hoping to show him, maybe confirmation and eventually weightpulling. I received some good advice to take a look at the akc website for help and I am hoping to sign up for their mentor program, if there is anyone in my area. I was going to enroll him in obedience classes but there are only 2 in our area and neither seemed to interested in the show aspect and they were very pricey, also he wouldn't be able to start till he has all his shots (understandable) I thought it might be best to get started early on. Any advice or if someone else show a malamute and has some tips, I will take any and all :o)

Oh, the breeder we got him from shows his daddy and he has almost all his points, I guess to be a champion. She said he is a nice looking dog and had she known he was going to turn out so nice she would have kept him rather than his sibling, woohoo, I think lol

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
WildHairAcres
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Welcome to the group!  I have St Bernards and we show conformation and do weight pull and draft.  If you check the AKC site you can go to the Malamute national club site.  From there you can look to see if they have a club (or members) in your area.  They may have a mentoring program.  Good luck with your new puppy and  if I can help with questions, I'd be glad too and there are lots of other people here happy to help.  Feel free to add me as a friend.

equusvetgal
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Local AKC clubs have handling classes that are offered. What area are you in so that I may point you in the right direction? Start stacking and standing now with your pup. Use the kitchen table as they tend to stand still better due to the height factor. Just don't leave unattended on table. Do not work young pup for more than a few minutes a couple of times a day. Also do not teach sit but rather stand for food. You want pup to learn how to stand for food as opposed to sitting. Sit can be taught later once pup has a firm grip on stand. Use food for reward. Get pup accustomed to having feet played with as well as mouth and ears. Keep pups nails trimmed weekly. Judges hate long nails and will tell you about it. Do you know how your breed stands for conformation? Good luck.

hms1223
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I'm glad you joined the group!  Welcome!!  I told you there were people here that could point you in the right direction.  They are very knowledgable and helpful!

Good luck with him!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)