Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Litter born June 5th and 6th

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 343 Total Views

My dog went into labor late Friday evening into early Saturday morning. She whelped 12 new pups but sadly one didn't make it.I tried so hard to revive it by rubbing it vigorously but it was just lifeless from the start. I almost had a second fatality but I was able to revive him. He was #12  he was born not breathing but  after a few minutes of  rubbing he squealed a little so I rubbed harder and faster and after about 7 minutes he was moving around and able to be placed back with his new family. I named him Champ cause he truly is a champ in my opinion. The pups are doing well they squeal alot and are so cute. Now if I could just keep my children from picking them up all the time it would be great. Also wanted to mention that I am a little concerned about mommy dog.  She  seems to be a good mommy  she is very attentive and very protective of her babies she only lets her family touch her pups and doesn't want anyone else around them. How ever  yesterday and today she has been trying to get away from them. She seems a little irritated and cries when they come near her sometimes not always, she has been crawling under my bed and scratching alot and whimpering and I dont think she is eating enough  Does anyone have any suggestions or understand what she is trying to do?

Scrapbooking   Danielle 

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
equusvetgal
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM

A few questions:

Age? Breed? First litter? How many heat cycles prior to being bred? How much and what exactly is she eating.

The best thing for the new mother is quiet time with her pups. This translates to NO children in the room, no adults..just her and the pups for periods of time. She must also have time to herself for short periods of time. This is crucial for the first couple of weeks. The more you mess with her the more she will prefer to be out of the whelping box. Hope this helps.

villarose
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM

You need to call up your vet - he might want you to bring her and/or the litter in.  She might have an infection either in the birthing canal or mastitis (nipples) which would cause her to lose interest in her pups.  Although very unlikely at this point, she might also have a pup or part of a placenta still inside of her.  Your vet will check these things (although there are warning signs - foul smelling liquid, swollen, red, hot nipples) and be able to give you pointers about raising the litter.  Twelve - that is a good sized litter!  I have a high risk small breed and the most she has whelped was 9 (although for a pug that is amazing).  If future breeding is in your cards, ask your vet for a vial of respiram - it is a medication that you place under a newborn puppy's tongue to help with oxygen saturation (i.e. breathing).  I now always have a vial on my shelf after a horrendous whelping experience in the past.

If you plan on responsible breeding and your female and the potential stud will add positively to the breed , this forum can be a wealth of advice.  I'd also align yourself with local breeders/people involved in shows.  The more experts you can learn from, the better your breeding program can be.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.  While you may feel judged at times, I know that all of the people in this forum think of the dogs first and will do anything to ensure happy, healthy dogs.  If you have more immediate questions, call your vet or you can email me if you wish!  villarose@yahoo.com

Good luck with your girl and her litter!  You will probably need to supplement her even if she is on a high quality food - 12 babies are a lot to feed.  You might also want to keep puppy replacement  food on hand in case she flat out refuses to feed them!  Call your vet!!!  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)