Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sisters keper

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 2:23 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 323 Total Views
what did you all think?
Did the story turn out the way you expected?
What are your opinions on other points in the book, such as having a child in the hopes of saving prolonging the life of another?

by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
geminigal81
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 11:19 AM
Not quite finished with it just yet. But as soon as I finish it, I will come back to discuss it.
LuvMyBrennaBean
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM
I, personally, was completely shocked by the ending! I cried, and then I cried some more. Totally not how I expected it to end. I love Jodi Picoult because I can slip myself into the character, but I could not feel what Kate felt... her overwhelming guilt, but also the happiness at having a second chance. I cannot imagine feeling how Sara, Brian, and Campbell felt.

As for having a child in hopes of saving another. I don't know how I would do it, but I love my daughter so much that I can't say what I would do to save her. I know that I would go to the ends of the earth for her, so it's hard to make that decision without being in the situation... God, I hope I never have to think like that!
Irksmom
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 8:44 PM
I finished this book so long ago that I can't remember all the characters names or specifics.  However, I do remember the topic of the book and how it really left me thinking.  I wasn't a mother when I read this book and now that I am I think I might look at things differently.  Jodi really makes you look at the situation from all the characters view points to see how they feel about the situation and that is what makes it hard for me to form a solid opinion about what is right and wrong in the situation.  As a mother you would want to do ANYTHING to save your child.  As a dying person you want to fight as long as you can and make the people around you happy for all the days you have.  As the child that's sole purpose for belonging is to be "an extra organ" for your sibling....that one is hard.  I think in the end Jodi did a great job of exposing a deep love between sisters and the human heart in general.  Whether or not I would have a child to serve as an organ farm to another...that is hard and unless faced with the situation in life I don't think I can give an honest answer.  I hope I never have to.  This was an awesome book...one of her better ones in my opinion!
ammasmama
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM
my mom recommended 4 of jodi's books, and this is the one i started on. still in the first chapter right now. 10 week olds don't leave much time for reading! my mom said it's her favorite... guess i'll know what i think and be back soon!
aunt_darla
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 1:00 PM
Oh, I cried so hard over the ending!  I did not want Anna to die.  What tough decisions everyone in this story had to make, mostly Katie.  I felt bad for the dad, he really was on Anna's side.  I sure hope I still have the names right, it's been awhile!  He felt so bad for her.  Then to realize that it was all Katie's idea.  I am unsure what I would do about having a baby just to save another.  I believe in things happening for a reason, but I can't answer that question, as it hasn't happened to me.  I pray it never does.

What a story~~ 
Tannersmommy
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 7:03 PM
This is my all time favorite book by her.  I cried when I first read it, and when I read it the second time I was really upset with her mom.  I cant imagin how hard it had to be on her, but I kind of felt that she didnt even want to listen to Anna or Katie.  And I guess as parents we somtimes tend to think we always know best.  I know I would do anything for my sister, which I guess is really what it came down to.

pamomof2boys
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 8:20 PM
It's been a little while since I read this one, but if I remember correctly the parents never completely settled on having only one child and were only planning on using the stem cells from the umbilical cord. That in itself doesn't sound that harsh. If they wanted a second baby why not have one that can possibly save the first. I think they crossed the line with all the procedures after the initial birth. The ending made me mad at first, but I think it was that twist of fate that made me want to read another Jodi Picoult book.
This book to date is still my favorite book.
scrapn2do
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 10:57 PM

OMG, i just finished this book the other day, and i loved it.. and i cried I never saw that coming.   How does she come up with these topics? Im sure this was something from a non fiction situtation at one point, im sure some family  have gone thru with this in one way or another.   i don't know what i would do in this situation.  She really makes you think as your reading her books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)