Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introductions please

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 175 Total Views

Please take the time to introduce yourself.

by on Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Hedgewitch
by Group Owner on Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hello my name is Sherri. I live in North Carolina, with my wonderful husband Steve, four dogs and three cats.

I am in the process of putting together a not for profit business raising service dogs. We will be raising only one breed of dog. Shiloh Shepherds, breed club ISSR. Later I will type more about this breed but for now here is a little about me and my girl Mali.

Some of you do not know I am physically disabled.  ~I like to say differently abled~ I fell off a cliff 16 years ago and was told I would never walk again.  I am strong willed and I do walk, not far, fast, or for long, but I walk.  My love of the ISSR Shiloh gave me an idea of training my own mobility service dog; and so, began a new journey. I researched all the laws and requirements for service dogs and found I could with a little help, pull this off.  I could have the breed of dog I so dearly wanted and a service dog as well.

I found the site of Tina Barber or Ma Shiloh as she is fondly called.  Ma was the founder of the breed.  I think that is amazing to have a breed developed right here in this country and during my lifetime.  Ma wanted to develop a Shepherd which was much like the Shepherds she knew growing up. Which means the breed had all the qualities I wanted in a dog; as well as, they are much larger. Being a tall and somewhat larger woman after being in a wheel chair for five years, I felt I needed a larger dog.

I wanted a dog which would be loyal, easy to train, intelligent, a watch dog not a guard dog at home, impressive in mind and body. I got all that and much more. I brought home my pup Mali when she was 11 weeks old. The first day Mali was in my house she learned to sit and fetch and that was only the first day!  By the end of the week, she was getting her leash and bringing it to us when she needed to go out.  I did not teach her that, she figured it out on her own. She graduated advanced obedience at 7 months complete with hand signs. By the time Mali was 9 month old she earned her first service dog harness and had gone on to alert me to medical issues she was not trained to do.

At 14 months old when my husband and I were walking Mali, (Mali thinks she is never off duty), and she was off duty we passed an elderly woman who was walking very slowly. The woman started to fall forward; Mali positioned herself beneath her and broke the woman's fall. At 18 months old Mali saved my life by letting me know my heat was enlarged and my thyroid was flip flopping from hypo to hyper. There are stories after stories I could type but this could become a book.

This year Mali received Service Dog of the Year Award, Through our Breed Club.

annaica
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM
Hi my name is Lucy. I own the group Moms Against Animal Cruelty on Facebook and CafeMom. Advocacy for animals is very important to me. I love animals and want the best for them... we have 2 adopted kitties, well they're 6 & 7 now. They're my other kids. I can't wait to get a dog! I want TO spend a lot of time training her. I want her to have some skills service dogs have. If you have any questions just ask! I am pretty chatty!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hedgewitch
by Group Owner on Oct. 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Welcome to the group Lucy, I am so sorry it took so long to get off the ground.

mzbratkid
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Hey everyone from the Mt's in California it's Super girl Tigi and Juli...My life changed for the better 3yrs when we found Super girl Tigi and brought her home. She is a mobility dog, anxiety dog, she has many skills as needed she is also a alert dog. So many things she does is not trained she picked up, She is top in her classes as well. Her breed is Eastern Germen Shepard and we say there is no dog in her just best friend. Tigi has her own following in town and many love her if she is not with me people get every upsit about it.

I have many stories about her and so much love it makes me cry to think how wonderful she is and she is in my life.

Thank you for a place to share our stories and ask questions.

Juli and TiGi.

Hedgewitch
by Group Owner on Oct. 14, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Welcome to the group! I can't wait to hear all the stories you have to share about your girl!

00momma00
by on Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I am Sarah, I got another Catahoula two and a half years ago, and at about 8 months old I realized she was alerting me. I then increased her basic training, and taught her some other skills. She loves to work, and is a very serious dog, she is a fantastic service dog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)