Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CIRCUMCISION

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:59 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 585 Total Views
I DONT THINK BABIES SHOULD BE CIRCUMCISED PERSONALLY. FOR ONE IF IT WAS SO IMPORTANT IT BE DONE THEY WOULDNT SEE IT AS A COSMETIC SURGERY. (WHICH WILL NO LONGER BE COVERED BY INSURANCE) AND I THINK IT SHOULD BE THE SONS DECISION IF HE WANTS TO BE CIRCUMCISED OR NOT. AND SINCE HE CANT TELL YOU AS A BABY, THAT ONLY LEAVES ONE CHOICE. I DIDNT EVEN GET MY DAUGHTERS EARS PIERCED FOR THE SAME REASON. ALL OF THE MODIFICATIONS OF THEIR BODY SHOULD BE LEFT UP TO THE CHILD. (WHEN THEYRE OLD ENOUGH TO DECIDE OF COURSE)
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momx7
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 5:02 PM
I am so torn on this! My first 3 were circumcised, but the last on wasn't. I was always for it and my last one couldn't have it done because my doc said he had hypospadeus (turns out he didn't), so now I have 1 that is uncircumcised. I could have done it when he was 1, but we decided against it, cause it would just be too painful for him;just learning how to walk and having that done...I think not! So now we have just decided to let him make the decision when he gets older. NOW, here is a question for all of you:

My original doctor told me to pull the foreskin back once a day...the pediatric urologist we took him to said to leave it alone...What is best?? I am a clean freak when  it comes to my kids and that just kind of grosses me out to not be able to get to that area and clean it. He has had 1 very minor infection (one that I could take care of myself, by putting neosporin on it), and I am worried he will get more. What do you all think?? Thanks!!
Savienu
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Quoting momx7:

I am so torn on this! My first 3 were circumcised, but the last on wasn't. I was always for it and my last one couldn't have it done because my doc said he had hypospadeus (turns out he didn't), so now I have 1 that is uncircumcised. I could have done it when he was 1, but we decided against it, cause it would just be too painful for him;just learning how to walk and having that done...I think not! So now we have just decided to let him make the decision when he gets older. NOW, here is a question for all of you:

My original doctor told me to pull the foreskin back once a day...the pediatric urologist we took him to said to leave it alone...What is best?? I am a clean freak when  it comes to my kids and that just kind of grosses me out to not be able to get to that area and clean it. He has had 1 very minor infection (one that I could take care of myself, by putting neosporin on it), and I am worried he will get more. What do you all think?? Thanks!!
Leave the foreskin alone! It is most likely NOT retractable at this point and forcing it back will cause more problems and infections. Here's a link about how to keep it clean: http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

Once it retracts, simply rinsing it with water is fine. The smegma is good, it's like how we don't use soap in our vaginas...you don't want to dry it out, same as you don't want to dry out under the foreskin. Hope that helps.
sara-gruntlings
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 8:47 PM
Leave it alone until it retracts on its own-- usually at 3-4 years of age, but sometimes not until later in life. You should NEVER pull it back further than it pulls back easily. Resistance means you're pulling too far.

It's actually rather clean. The foreskin is part of the immune system, and the smegma is much like the vaginal fluids in a baby girl that keep the vagina clean-- you'd never imagine breaking her hymen to clean inside her vagina would you? The foreskin is similar.

Aggressive cleaning in a young baby's foreskin actually causes some infections, by damaging the penis's ability to clean itself. A lot of infections and problems are caused by improper treatment of foreskin.

Some doctors will tell you to force the foreskin back, or recommend circumcision if it's not rectractible by the time the boy is 2-- this is baloney. The foreskin can remain non-retractible until the boy is a pre-teen, and only becomes an issue if it's still non-retractible at that age.

Trying to pull it back too soon can cause swelling and damage and can even cause the foreskin to become stuck in the pulled-back position, which is painful and can cause serious problems.
mamasophy
by Member on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:14 PM
Retracting the foreskin in a babe that age to clean is akin to digging ALL the way under the nail (ie tearing it away from the nail bed) to "clean".  Leave it alone - a lot of the recurrent infections/irritation you sometimes hear about are from unnecessary retraction, by parents OR docs.  Leave it alone and no sitting in soapy water!  Always rinse w/clear water before the end of the bath (girls too).
Meggan
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Quoting sara-gruntlings:

It's actually rather clean. The foreskin is part of the immune system, and the smegma is much like the vaginal fluids in a baby girl that keep the vagina clean-- you'd never imagine breaking her hymen to clean inside her vagina would you? The foreskin is similar.

Some doctors will tell you to force the foreskin back, or recommend circumcision if it's not rectractible by the time the boy is 2-- this is baloney. The foreskin can remain non-retractible until the boy is a pre-teen, and only becomes an issue if it's still non-retractible at that age.

Our ped retracted our baby boy's foreskin yesterday (without our consent), and needless to say I was not/ am not happy about it. I actually thought, what if it were a baby girl and the ped broke her hymen? Completely unacceptable, right?! Of course! Well, I agree. And to me, what our ped did to my son feels exactly the same. 

Also, my husband is intact and completely healthy, and his foreskin didn't retract by itself until he was about 10 years old. His only problem was that his mother and father (don't get me started on my in-laws...) never taught him about his penis or how to care for it, so when it happened he was totally freaked out!   
jc89
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Meggan-
Help. I am like your in-laws! My son is 8 and uncircumcised and I've told him to use soap and rinse well. That's it. I have no idea if his foreskin is still attached and what can I say to prepare him for that?

Thanks

Savienu
by on Apr. 9, 2007 at 7:49 AM

Quoting jc89:

Meggan-
Help. I am like your in-laws! My son is 8 and uncircumcised and I've told him to use soap and rinse well. That's it. I have no idea if his foreskin is still attached and what can I say to prepare him for that?

Thanks

For one, when it retracts, tell him not to use soap to clean underneath- it can dry it out and lead to infection. Second, I would just be frank with your son at this point. Tell him that his foreskin (the skin covering his penis) will be able to pull back eventually, and when it does, to rinse under it with water in the shower, and dab it clean with toilet paper (don't rub), when he uses the toilet. Basically, when my son is old enough I'm going to treat it as the same way I would approach a daughter about getting her period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)